is my tank overstock?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

barcelona5602

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hi, i will like to know if my tank is overstock. i have a 24 nanocube with 2 36watts pc with 10k bulbs. the tank has been running for 6 weeks. my water is at 0 amonia, 0 nitrite, 0 nitrate and salinity is 1.024. i do 5 gallons water change every week(buy water from pet store).
2 green chromis(since day one)
1 clownfish, ocelaris (nemo)
1 blood shrimp
1 skunk shrimp
1 coral banded shrimp
1 sallyfoot crab
1 emerald crab
2 porceland crab( i hevent seen them since i put them )
1 sun startfish
2 olive snails
8 turbo sanails
6 blue hermits crab
1 tree (i think is called hair brush)
few mushrooms and zoanthias
4 candy cane
and some kind of tree that is growing in the rock that the mushrooms came( it was not ther when i bought it)
evry thing looks fine but i notice that my candy cane are drying up and my clownfish got fin rot wich hopfully got cure with some peroxide that i aplaid yesterdy to it( it looks like it went well with the peroxide, the fish if acting normal )i have a bak pak skimmer

I'm a member on some different sites and I have currently 3 baby angelfish and 2 mollies and a baby bichir in a 30 gallon tank, they acted like this was a death cube filled with hydrochloric acid so I guess don't ask me...I haven't found a site yet that doesn't have arrogant fish masters who are quick to judge and not very quick with actual solutions...I'm new here so hopefully this sites population is a bit more friendly (hoping)...so I guess you'll get about 10 responses all that say BUY A BIGGER TANK, but if the fish are alive, not attacking each other over territory, not strugling for oxygen and have move to swim around and enjoy themselves I say its fine, just check your water frequently and all should be fine

WEll... your tank is only a nano. I don't know if those shrimps and crabs will add bioload as much as fishes do, but your tank has only been 6 weeks, yet you have that many inhabitants? I'm afraid, you have to go slow on this. YOu don't want to add too many things at once.

the problem isnt the fish its the fact you have all that at once. Should of added sparingly. However damage done check water conditions and the conditons of the animals and everything could turn out well. One note I dont know much about saltwater aquariums however i research them alot and want one in a couple years when i have a permanent residance..... the different species of crabs im going to say are going to fight each other and im willing to bet that if one of them gets a chance at one of the shrimp theyll eat those too. in a 24 gallon tank there isnt much room to hide with that many bottom dwellers but thats just my 2 cents

oh one for thing to add fish size (full grown) = amount of room needed 4 6 inch fish need about 24 gallons of water thats what Ive always been told

hi, i will like to know if my tank is overstock. i have a 24 nanocube with 2 36watts pc with 10k bulbs. the tank has been running for 6 weeks. my water is at 0 amonia, 0 nitrite, 0 nitrate and salinity is 1.024. i do 5 gallons water change every week(buy water from pet store).
2 green chromis(since day one)
1 clownfish, ocelaris (nemo)
1 blood shrimp
1 skunk shrimp
1 coral banded shrimp
1 sallyfoot crab
1 emerald crab
2 porceland crab( i hevent seen them since i put them )
1 sun startfish
2 olive snails
8 turbo sanails
6 blue hermits crab
1 tree (i think is called hair brush)
few mushrooms and zoanthias
4 candy cane
and some kind of tree that is growing in the rock that the mushrooms came( it was not ther when i bought it)
evry thing looks fine but i notice that my candy cane are drying up and my clownfish got fin rot wich hopfully got cure with some peroxide that i aplaid yesterdy to it( it looks like it went well with the peroxide, the fish if acting normal )i have a bak pak skimmer

Welcome to AA. Overstocked usually refers to fish/ bio-load as far as bio-load I think you're fine. I'd watch your numbers closely nitrAte NitrIte and Ammonia. I don't have experince mixing crabs and shrimps like you have but that is all I'd be worried about so far.

Jason

oh one for thing to add fish size (full grown) = amount of room needed 4 6 inch fish need about 24 gallons of water thats what Ive always been told

Fish per inches theory is never correct. Especially in a saltwater aquarium.

You're high only on the amount that you added so fast. Keep doing the monitoring and water changes and you should be okay.

thanks guys. the only thing is that the coral banded shrimp do not let anyone near him, but everything else looks ok. i havenever had a problem with my water readings, amonia nitrite and nitrate always reads 0.

Inverts don't really add to the bioload. That coralbanded may cause problems n the future. They can tend to be quite nasty once they get bigger. Iv'e hear sallys can cause problems too, but I haven't had any issues.
What kind of starfish is that?
Is there any chance you can get a pic of the hair brush and/or the whole tank?

You can post pics on any thread by copying and pasting the BB code. Just go to your album click on a pic and copy then paste the BB code to the thread.

I took a couple glances at your tank. I dont think much will make it. How did you (apply the peroxide???....) Now I might be wrong but that is way too much at once. I thought I over did it with 10 snails and 10 crabs roughly in a 75 gal. @ week 3 Just keep an eye on the parameters. I dont think you have the water stability to handle any type of coral. Just my rookie opinion. I would step back and do some research and make sure to remove anything if it looks like it is dead.

all my corals are doing ok, ecept my candy cane it looks like is drying up. but the mushrooms look like they are gettiung bigger. i just order a ap reef master kit, i am going to start cheking for phosphate carbonete hardnes and calcium. the amonia , nitrite and nitrate are at 0 (y check my water every other day) ph is 8.0

Also I am having a problem with this right now and am combating it. Right now I can tell your nitrates are extremely high as well as phosphates. You are starting to get what is called hair algae. I would add some sort of phosphate remover or pheric oxide. How long do you leave your lights on?

i took the fish out and quikly i got a q tip with peroxid are aplied in the infected area. then a rinsed with destiled water and then put him in the tank. dont know if is going to work yet, if the fin keeps roting, then i will get some medecine

Are you using the test strips because they are very inaccurate that is my own experience with FW. Also API is okay Salifert is better as far as Calcium and Alk go... Those would be your main ones since you are just starting out. You do have Nitrates you can tell just by looking at your tank. They may be low however you definitely have phosphates that need to be rid of. Only reason I know this is because parts of my tank looked like that a while ago. I did have a hair algae problem like I said and am just added some fluval phosphate tonight only until I can get my pheric oxide sponge type media.

Back
Top Bottom