Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-26-2009, 11:36 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

is my tank overstock?

hi, i will like to know if my tank is overstock. i have a 24 nanocube with 2 36watts pc with 10k bulbs. the tank has been running for 6 weeks. my water is at 0 amonia, 0 nitrite, 0 nitrate and salinity is 1.024. i do 5 gallons water change every week(buy water from pet store).
2 green chromis(since day one)
1 clownfish, ocelaris (nemo)
1 blood shrimp
1 skunk shrimp
1 coral banded shrimp
1 sallyfoot crab
1 emerald crab
2 porceland crab( i hevent seen them since i put them )
1 sun startfish
2 olive snails
8 turbo sanails
6 blue hermits crab
1 tree (i think is called hair brush)
few mushrooms and zoanthias
4 candy cane
and some kind of tree that is growing in the rock that the mushrooms came( it was not ther when i bought it)
evry thing looks fine but i notice that my candy cane are drying up and my clownfish got fin rot wich hopfully got cure with some peroxide that i aplaid yesterdy to it( it looks like it went well with the peroxide, the fish if acting normal )i have a bak pak skimmer

Old 04-27-2009, 12:26 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

I'm a member on some different sites and I have currently 3 baby angelfish and 2 mollies and a baby bichir in a 30 gallon tank, they acted like this was a death cube filled with hydrochloric acid so I guess don't ask me...I haven't found a site yet that doesn't have arrogant fish masters who are quick to judge and not very quick with actual solutions...I'm new here so hopefully this sites population is a bit more friendly (hoping)...so I guess you'll get about 10 responses all that say BUY A BIGGER TANK, but if the fish are alive, not attacking each other over territory, not strugling for oxygen and have move to swim around and enjoy themselves I say its fine, just check your water frequently and all should be fine

Old 04-27-2009, 01:21 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to bawel Send a message via Skype™ to bawel
WEll... your tank is only a nano. I don't know if those shrimps and crabs will add bioload as much as fishes do, but your tank has only been 6 weeks, yet you have that many inhabitants? I'm afraid, you have to go slow on this. YOu don't want to add too many things at once.
bawel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 01:32 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

the problem isnt the fish its the fact you have all that at once. Should of added sparingly. However damage done check water conditions and the conditons of the animals and everything could turn out well. One note I dont know much about saltwater aquariums however i research them alot and want one in a couple years when i have a permanent residance..... the different species of crabs im going to say are going to fight each other and im willing to bet that if one of them gets a chance at one of the shrimp theyll eat those too. in a 24 gallon tank there isnt much room to hide with that many bottom dwellers but thats just my 2 cents
Old 04-27-2009, 01:38 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

oh one for thing to add fish size (full grown) = amount of room needed 4 6 inch fish need about 24 gallons of water thats what Ive always been told
Old 04-27-2009, 02:04 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcelona5602 View Post
hi, i will like to know if my tank is overstock. i have a 24 nanocube with 2 36watts pc with 10k bulbs. the tank has been running for 6 weeks. my water is at 0 amonia, 0 nitrite, 0 nitrate and salinity is 1.024. i do 5 gallons water change every week(buy water from pet store).
2 green chromis(since day one)
1 clownfish, ocelaris (nemo)
1 blood shrimp
1 skunk shrimp
1 coral banded shrimp
1 sallyfoot crab
1 emerald crab
2 porceland crab( i hevent seen them since i put them )
1 sun startfish
2 olive snails
8 turbo sanails
6 blue hermits crab
1 tree (i think is called hair brush)
few mushrooms and zoanthias
4 candy cane
and some kind of tree that is growing in the rock that the mushrooms came( it was not ther when i bought it)
evry thing looks fine but i notice that my candy cane are drying up and my clownfish got fin rot wich hopfully got cure with some peroxide that i aplaid yesterdy to it( it looks like it went well with the peroxide, the fish if acting normal )i have a bak pak skimmer
Welcome to AA. Overstocked usually refers to fish/ bio-load as far as bio-load I think you're fine. I'd watch your numbers closely nitrAte NitrIte and Ammonia. I don't have experince mixing crabs and shrimps like you have but that is all I'd be worried about so far.

Jason
Old 04-27-2009, 02:06 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by flip0204 View Post
oh one for thing to add fish size (full grown) = amount of room needed 4 6 inch fish need about 24 gallons of water thats what Ive always been told
Fish per inches theory is never correct. Especially in a saltwater aquarium.
Old 04-27-2009, 03:13 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

You're high only on the amount that you added so fast. Keep doing the monitoring and water changes and you should be okay.
Old 04-27-2009, 08:53 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

thanks guys. the only thing is that the coral banded shrimp do not let anyone near him, but everything else looks ok. i havenever had a problem with my water readings, amonia nitrite and nitrate always reads 0.
Old 04-27-2009, 09:42 AM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Inverts don't really add to the bioload. That coralbanded may cause problems n the future. They can tend to be quite nasty once they get bigger. Iv'e hear sallys can cause problems too, but I haven't had any issues.
What kind of starfish is that?
Is there any chance you can get a pic of the hair brush and/or the whole tank?

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
overstock, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com