Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-25-2008, 01:02 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Question Is my tank too heavy for my house??

I just moved my 80gal to a different room because i got a new tank. I leveled it and filled it with water, now when i walk into my bedroom the dresser squeaks? IT this ok or is it too heavy for the house. The house has a crawl space, so its not on footer. i had a 30 in the same spot and it did fine! Here is a sloppy paint of the house the blue is the tank and the brown is the dresser. i get that they are on the other side of the wall ant the tank is heavy but is it too heavy??? I dont want to mess up my new house because of a fishtak!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	5.6 KB
ID:	15825  

Old 10-25-2008, 01:12 AM   #2

Send a message via AIM to MichaelsLilGray Send a message via Yahoo to MichaelsLilGray
a fish tank displacement is no heavier than that of a refridgerator when you look at it pounds per foot. So i doubt its "to heavy" but i dont live there to know, how and where it is suported.

Old 10-25-2008, 01:20 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

There are 4 support beams that run under the hall. but the tank is 16"x48"
Old 10-25-2008, 01:26 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

If it were me I would just take an estimated weight and ask a contractor or someone with such expertise. There's no point in guessing or even hoping a tank won't fall through, especially when lives could be in danger below?
Old 10-26-2008, 01:43 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innovator View Post
If it were me I would just take an estimated weight and ask a contractor or someone with such expertise. There's no point in guessing or even hoping a tank won't fall through, especially when lives could be in danger below?

I agree!

I don't own a fridge that weighs as much as my 120. That must be one heck of a fridge.
Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 01:47 PM   #6

Send a message via AIM to MichaelsLilGray Send a message via Yahoo to MichaelsLilGray
Never said a tank weighs in the same as a refrig.. what i was saying is.. when you take the square footage... and the ammount of places on the floor that are holding up the tank.. and distribute out the weight.. the weight per foot per say is going to be lesser than the total mass. For instance.. your 2 feet.. if you are 200 lbs.. each foot would hold up 100, if you had 4 feet.. it would be 50 and so on.
Old 10-26-2008, 01:54 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

do the math.

water weighs 8lbs per gal

figure out what the tank weighs

how many lbs of gravle/decorations

add them together

research whether or not the area of ur floor can bear that kinda load

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIftOkWbLWo
rob28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 01:57 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I would have someone look at it as Innovator said. When you get above 55g the weight of a tank can become an issue if it is not placed in a well supported area.

Is this a modular home (pre fabricated) or a custom built home?
Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 02:00 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

he could also displace the load if it isnt too much trouble. ie make a base thats 3 times the size of the base of the tank that way it spreads the load over a larger area

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIftOkWbLWo
rob28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 02:28 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

I'm not a contractor but have some experience with remodeling and such (e.g. moving things like bath tubs). The important thing to keep in mind is that the best places to place heavy objects are on the outside walls, corners of inside rooms, and near stairwells. You may also be able to support the area from underneath...which would probably be more economical if you have a crawl space versus a full basement. To be honest though, I just moved from an older house and had a 125 gallon reef tank on the second floor and had no problems at all. In fact, are you sure it is the dresser itself that squeaks or could it be the floor? Sometimes a couple additional screws to secure the floor boards to the joists can quiet the most persistant noises.

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com