Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 06-17-2011, 03:11 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Is no water change in 3 weeks ok? I'm going on vacation.

Im going out of the country for 3 weeks. I do a 20% water change every two weeks. Will it be ok for that extra week? I have my neighbor coming in to do daily feedings, check on things and add calcium/nutrients for the coral.

I have a 47 gallon tank with about 70 pounds of live rock. 2 clowns, 1 rock blenny, 1 firefish, 1 diamond back blenny, 10 hermit crabs, 5 snails. I have a small frogspawn, two duncans, one small leather and a tube anemone.

edmond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 04:00 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Yeah that should be fine, just make sure your neighbor doesn't overfeed! Make sure he knows the amount because if he doesn't know anything about fish, he might just throw a bunch of food in.

slitherbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 04:27 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic
My fiance's friend watched our house and over fed. I lost my diamond goby because she was feeding them the sinking pellets. As a precaution, I'd have your neighbor feed your fish every other day or every 3 days, so in case he does overfeed, you won't have to worry about it effecting your tank all that much.

uscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 04:43 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
I would say do one the day you leave and have him feed every other day.
95 Gallon reef system
Hinds04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 07:35 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak
Here is what I do for the "pet sitter." Take an ice cube tray (or trays so you have enough for three weeks but make sure they are a different color from your "human use only" trays or mark them) and fill them with tank water. Cut a small amount of frozen food, (about the amount you would normally feed) and have the pet sitter just pop out a cube and drop it in the tank. I had mine do it every other day and since you are going three weeks without a water change, every other day will keep the issues down. You can also mix up the "grill" so to speak by slicing small amounts of different frozen foods as long as it doesn't exceed what you would normally feed overall.

Haven't missed yet with this method other than a friend using ice cubes from the wrong tray when getting ice for a drink.....
tlkng1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 08:51 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via AIM to Flake
I did a similar thing only using a weekly pill case. I put the amount of frozen food in there. It did well to prevent overfeeding.

Flake is offline   Reply With Quote

change, vacation, water change

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com