Is no water change in 3 weeks ok? I'm going on vacation.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

edmond

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Im going out of the country for 3 weeks. I do a 20% water change every two weeks. Will it be ok for that extra week? I have my neighbor coming in to do daily feedings, check on things and add calcium/nutrients for the coral.

I have a 47 gallon tank with about 70 pounds of live rock. 2 clowns, 1 rock blenny, 1 firefish, 1 diamond back blenny, 10 hermit crabs, 5 snails. I have a small frogspawn, two duncans, one small leather and a tube anemone.

Yeah that should be fine, just make sure your neighbor doesn't overfeed! Make sure he knows the amount because if he doesn't know anything about fish, he might just throw a bunch of food in.

My fiance's friend watched our house and over fed. I lost my diamond goby because she was feeding them the sinking pellets. As a precaution, I'd have your neighbor feed your fish every other day or every 3 days, so in case he does overfeed, you won't have to worry about it effecting your tank all that much.

I would say do one the day you leave and have him feed every other day.

Here is what I do for the "pet sitter." Take an ice cube tray (or trays so you have enough for three weeks but make sure they are a different color from your "human use only" trays or mark them) and fill them with tank water. Cut a small amount of frozen food, (about the amount you would normally feed) and have the pet sitter just pop out a cube and drop it in the tank. I had mine do it every other day and since you are going three weeks without a water change, every other day will keep the issues down. You can also mix up the "grill" so to speak by slicing small amounts of different frozen foods as long as it doesn't exceed what you would normally feed overall.

Haven't missed yet with this method other than a friend using ice cubes from the wrong tray when getting ice for a drink.....:whistle:

I did a similar thing only using a weekly pill case. I put the amount of frozen food in there. It did well to prevent overfeeding.

Back
Top Bottom