Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-26-2011, 12:45 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Is PVC cement toxic to fish?

I used pPVC cement yesterday for some connections and and the pipe still stinks like the cement. When is it safe to add to my plumbing? Is the scent an indication of not being ready for the tank? I rinsed it a few times and the smell still remains....

Thanks for any help on this one, I really want to finish the plumbing today but don't want to poison my tank. lol

Old 11-26-2011, 12:53 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to catmel
I'm pretty sure it'll be safe as long as you're able to let the cement dry long enough where it doesnt leak. I had a leak in my plumbing, had to cut out and re-glue some pieces.. let it sit for a few hours and returned water flow.. no problems at all. The smell is pretty strong for a while, even after it dries ( it lingers in the air) I would make sure to open some windows for a bit and air out the room / get some circulation going. I'd be more concerned about the fumes.. especially for you, too.

Hope it helps.

Just your average LVT (licenced vet tech) trying to help the world's animals!!
- Melinda
catmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 01:09 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

the cement is jus ta solvent and once all the chemicals evaporate out after it melts the plastic it should be fine.

i use CPVC cement though, CPVC is a PVC that is used for drinking water PVC so it is safe once its fully dried
Old 11-26-2011, 01:49 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

So since I did it yesterday it should be fine today? Even with the smell?
Old 11-26-2011, 01:59 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

yeah should be more then fine just rinse it out
Old 11-26-2011, 02:14 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Thanks leo. already rinsed it but I'll rinse some more.
Old 11-26-2011, 04:34 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

how did you rinse it? did you just use warm water? i would use water and a bit of rubbing alchohol to disinfect and get anything harmful that may be on the piping. not a big deal if you don't running carbon will help suck up anything harmful anyways
Old 11-26-2011, 05:00 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I have it hooked up right now in a half full tank of water with a mag 7 pumping through it. Figure let it run for a bit and hopefully that will be enough so I can hook it into the system.
Old 11-26-2011, 06:05 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Look at you putting plumbing together! Is this for the 90? I have some pieces of PVC for my tank already, lol. 3 more weeks until tank arrives. They are cutting overflow pieces this week, exciting. Did you use clear or purple? Leo... Is it clearly marked CPVC?
Old 11-26-2011, 06:30 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I used clear cement. I am adding an ATO to my 125g. I have to raise the water level in my return compartment to the sensors so I didn't wanna take a chance on any back siphon back to the sump, it'll be quite full already. I got a 1" check valve from home depot and just now finished adding it to the return line. I also re did all my plugs and extension cords, thank god! LOL It looks to be working fine with no leaks so far.

Tags
pvc

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com