Is PVC cement toxic to fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

carey

Aquarium Advice Addict
I used pPVC cement yesterday for some connections and and the pipe still stinks like the cement. When is it safe to add to my plumbing? Is the scent an indication of not being ready for the tank? I rinsed it a few times and the smell still remains....

Thanks for any help on this one, I really want to finish the plumbing today but don't want to poison my tank. lol

I'm pretty sure it'll be safe as long as you're able to let the cement dry long enough where it doesnt leak. I had a leak in my plumbing, had to cut out and re-glue some pieces.. let it sit for a few hours and returned water flow.. no problems at all. The smell is pretty strong for a while, even after it dries ( it lingers in the air) I would make sure to open some windows for a bit and air out the room / get some circulation going. I'd be more concerned about the fumes.. especially for you, too.

Hope it helps.

the cement is jus ta solvent and once all the chemicals evaporate out after it melts the plastic it should be fine.

i use CPVC cement though, CPVC is a PVC that is used for drinking water PVC so it is safe once its fully dried

how did you rinse it? did you just use warm water? i would use water and a bit of rubbing alchohol to disinfect and get anything harmful that may be on the piping. not a big deal if you don't running carbon will help suck up anything harmful anyways

I have it hooked up right now in a half full tank of water with a mag 7 pumping through it. Figure let it run for a bit and hopefully that will be enough so I can hook it into the system. :)

Look at you putting plumbing together! Is this for the 90? I have some pieces of PVC for my tank already, lol. 3 more weeks until tank arrives. They are cutting overflow pieces this week, exciting. Did you use clear or purple? Leo... Is it clearly marked CPVC?

I used clear cement. :) I am adding an ATO to my 125g. I have to raise the water level in my return compartment to the sensors so I didn't wanna take a chance on any back siphon back to the sump, it'll be quite full already. I got a 1" check valve from home depot and just now finished adding it to the return line. I also re did all my plugs and extension cords, thank god! LOL It looks to be working fine with no leaks so far.

sweet! I added the Tunze top off system before last week, we were going away for the weekend and I didn't want my sump to be empty. It worked great and was easy to set up. I also started with the Kalkwasser in it, lol. Only 1 tsp though and I will measure in a week to see what that does.

Yep, I am testing right now to see if i can start the kalkwasser solution. I plan on starting with 1 teaspoon per gallon and see where that gets me. lol

Still no leaks from my cementing job, I feel so accomplished! I'm even entertaining the idea of using pvc hardlines for my 90g now. :-D

That's what I'll be doing for my new tank! Probably be on here with questions, lol! Glad the PVC glue worked, it is pretty strong stuff, Inused it on my pond plumbing 6 years ago, still holding up.

PVC cement/glue its not actually a glue its a solvent, its strong because it melts the PVC that its on and fuses the pieces together, its like weld-on when workign with acrylic, but different solvents only work on a certain material, which is why i used CPVC glue becasue i used CPVC pipe which is like a light brownish clear.

Ahh I get it now. Thats why it didnt glue my fingers together. lol

I will look into the cpvc next time I'm in home depot or lowes and see if thety carry it.

they do carry it, but i think only up to 1 inch and thats exactly why it didn't glue your fingers together and why it also peels off your skin liek a layer of skin once its dried :p

I really appreciate your help Leo. :-D

Big reason I LOVE this forum, I learn something new every day!

Back
Top Bottom