Is QTing neccesary?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Gregcoyote said:
As usual, i am on the other end of this good discussion.

What good does QT do if the system isn't as good as the reef system? It needs to be even better and nobody does that. All you will do is stress a fish that is already stressed and that produces disease. So in some ways, the only reason to have a QT is to make it easier to catch and treat a fish that is dying because of the QT tank. A healthy fish brushes things like ICK aside, it can't penetrate their slime coats and believe me, any system that hasn't got strong UV filtration has spores of ICK and other parasites as well as loads of bacteria in it.

If a fish has been at the LFS for some time, I don't flinch, I do a 3 hour drip acclimation, look at him under a powerful light to see any lost scales or obvious parasites, then just a few hours before dark, I add them. I have lost fish in the last 20 years, but the cause was water conditions setting off a disease outbreak. Weak fish get sick.

Not agreeing or disagreeing, just clarifying stress does not cause disease. Pathogens cause disease. If pathogens are not present, no amount of stress would cause disease. ;)

Gregcoyote said:
If you are assuming the fish in QT are infected with something, you don't want that back into your reef, otherwise, why QT? If you want the QT fish to become acclimated to your water and food, it seems that the reef water should be used if it can be done safely. I have not done this, but it makes some sense to me. I have seen large overflow boxes on reefs used as a QT for new fish that might not feed well if just dumped into the reef.

I meant to ask if u where recommending UV sterilizers... Sorry for the mix up... But good to know info... Tnx.

UV only kills ich in one stage of life and it must pass through the light..ich has several stages when it can't be touched...
Key is to just keep it out of your system,like lefty said,,stress doesn't cause ich..it won't just appear ...I still don't get why people can sit and let an empty tank cycle for weeks ,but can't let a fish sit in qt for a few ...

FTMMWS said:
UV only kills ich in one stage of life and it must pass through the light..ich has several stages when it can't be touched...
Key is to just keep it out of your system,like lefty said,,stress doesn't cause ich..it won't just appear ...I still don't get why people can sit and let an empty tank cycle for weeks ,but can't let a fish sit in qt for a few ...

(not a smart *** question) may I ask how many years you have been doing SW? I know different generations have different techniques. I'm just trying to get the most info without causing a debate of what is or isn't the right way. I only have 2.5-3 months experience. So basically I'm feeding off y'alls experience and trials. SW is new to me and I'm eventually going to screw up. Just wanna know how y'all fixed it.

About 6 years ,,and like almost everybody,this is a lesson i learned THE HARD WAY!!:(....Nobody ever told me about QTing in the beginning and how it benefits the fish, your system and you..

Got it. Well, the new fish are in there now, so we shall see. I've only lost fish through PH's, and then this morning my coral beauty was gone. Parameters where on point, so I decided to go ahead an QT these new guys and ensure the tank was good.

I am QTing a Midas Blenny and a Coral Beauty! I am also hospitalizing in another QT two Oscellari clowns that may have broken out with ich. I am treating via hyposalinity. After reading everyone else's experiences and going thru QT process since day 1, I definitely agree that QTing is the way to go!

Well, my guys lasted a day in the QT. They are now in the DT. I know, don't yell, wish me luck, or hope me. I only had 3 fish in tank and it was driving me nuts! They are eating and doing well. I say that now and Lord willing, I'll be saying it in a couple of weeks. But y'all are a help. My next fish.. IDK, I may or may not.

Back
Top Bottom