Is steady 500ppm Calcium ok?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just do water changes until it normalizes. Dosing can get numbers and budget out if control.

Ok, but it still drop at each water changes... I'll wait until the next water change, that I will do in two weeks, and see how it changed...

If you tell me there's enough Mg in Fluval Sea salt, I'll wait.

Thanks, I'll start a new post if it keep dropping after 1 more month.

The levels of mag, alk, and calc to require dosing would be out of a heavily sps dominated tank to be absorbing a ton of these elements. Under normal situations there is no reason to dose.

I don't dose anything in my tank except trace elements and even that's rare. My mg is always over 1350 and my cal and alk are both great. Water changes will put in these things you need in your tank

I finished by buying a magnesium raising product, "Kent Tech M Magnesium". They say to put 20ml/20gallons/days to raise mg of 19ppm.

Does that seems ok to raise it 19ppm/days until I reach 1400 again of that's too much fluctuations ?

I followed Tech M's recommendation and it worked exactly as they stated.

So this product was a good bet :)

I'm at the moment doing my water change. My tank is 20g, is 4g PWC/3weeks is enough ?

So, is 20%PWC/3weeks enough? No algae problems, I'm on week 3.

PWC should be enough. That's not the case in my tank, but you will only know for sure by testing. I really like the Tech M. If was recommended on this site and so far so good. Funny, my LFS recommended several others above Tech M, but they never worked for me as easily as Tech M.

I added Kent Tech Mg (a bit more daily than recommanded), and did a 20%WC there's two days... Mg is still dropping !!! On 28 january it was 1160ppm, now is 1080ppm.

Does something in new tanks suck all thoses Mg ?

Lol, just saw that reef aquarium kit, it's Red Sea MAX S-650
RedSeaMaxS500LG.jpg

This will be my next reef in 2-3 years, when I'll buy my first home with my GF. That's a 175 Reef setup. Any thoughts on this ?

It cost around 4500-5500$

I'm already questioning... If I do 20%WC each three weeks, it does 37 gallons... 37 gallons of RODI water.... How do you do this ? I can produce this amount in 7 hours. Plus, it need another 20-30 gallons for automatic top up during the three weeks...

Back
Top Bottom