Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-28-2014, 06:14 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Is steady 500ppm Calcium ok?

Hi, since I started my reef aquarium, I have a steady 500ppm calcium, and it doesn't drop when I make a water change (RODI + Fluval Sea salt).

Is it ok ? Also I'm not sure about magnesium, but I think it's low... It keep dropping Over time... The firsts days it was at 1500mg, and now a month after it's at 1160ppm.

Here's parameters:
Temp: 26.5C (Unsteady, I had lot of power failure this month)
Ph: around 8.1
KH: 8.4 dKH
Ca: 500ppm
Mg: 1160ppm

I'm dosing daily incremental vodka since two weeks.

Are thoses parameters ok IYO ?

Old 01-28-2014, 07:33 PM   #2
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

That depends on what your alkalinity is at, since calcium and alk go hand in hand.

Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 08:03 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvincent View Post
Hi, since I started my reef aquarium, I have a steady 500ppm calcium, and it doesn't drop when I make a water change (RODI + Fluval Sea salt).

Is it ok ? Also I'm not sure about magnesium, but I think it's low... It keep dropping Over time... The firsts days it was at 1500mg, and now a month after it's at 1160ppm.

Here's parameters:
Temp: 26.5C (Unsteady, I had lot of power failure this month)
Ph: around 8.1
KH: 8.4 dKH
Ca: 500ppm
Mg: 1160ppm

I'm dosing daily incremental vodka since two weeks.

Are thoses parameters ok IYO ?
Your mag is low which explains why your calcium never changes. Magnesium makes it available to be used by your corals? Are they growing? How long are you mixing the water before water changes? Just wondering why're you vodka dosing? You realize it zaps most of the nutrients from the water and the corals colors will probably turn a whiter color, especially sps. Contrary to popular belief corals do require some nutrients to thrive.
bribo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 08:32 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I mix the water with a powerfull powerhead for 2 hours or more, as it is long to osmose RODI water.

For the vodka dosing, I didn't saw any changes in what the skimmer produce, i'm at the first week. According to the website I found information on vodka dosing, it says I won't see results until I put big doses of vodka after 5-6 weeks...

I can't tell if the corals grow, I have them for 2-3 weeks... My Zoa spreads, but my frogspawn stay closed... My blue/purple mushroom grows for sure ! He's biggers day to day...

Some coraline just start to grow in little spots everywhere... Not on the glass. My clownfish seems happy...

I target feed my corals once a week with seringe... So how to raise magnesium ? Buy Mg and throw it in water ?
Old 01-28-2014, 08:41 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Do you have sps in your tank? They take up most of the calcium in your water. If you just have few zoas and lps your calcium probably doesnt drop as much.
Old 01-28-2014, 08:43 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Zoas frags, a little birdsnest SPS, 1 little blue mush, 1 little frogspawn frag that dosen't open anymore...
Old 01-28-2014, 08:49 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Stop vodka dosing. Your tank is in no need for it. Your bioload is so small that it has probably already wiped your tank of nutrients. Hence why the frogspawn is closed. Idk why your mag is so low but it could be due to the dosing.
Old 01-28-2014, 09:57 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

It was already low before I started dosing, last week it was 1200ppm... SInce I dose vodka, coraline is growing everywhere instead of hair algae... I dose vodka cause I had algae problems...

Forgspawn was already closed before I started to dose too... I think it's because I moved it in a too much flow area... I just put it on the sand to see what it does...
Old 01-28-2014, 10:02 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Oh gotcha I guess if it works just be careful with it. Once the tank
Is completely derived of nutrients your corals will be quite upset. I'm not a big fan of carbon dosing
Old 01-28-2014, 10:09 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Kk... at now I don't see any results, I'm at 0.4ml/day... I should see a difference when I'll reach 2ml/day according to my source...

Tags
calcium

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com