Is that what I think it is? HELP!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pisces3473

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I was looking through the tank and noticed these little hairs growing all over the place. Rocks are at different heights. I think it may be Green Hair Algae, it's fuzzy and short, and green. I can take the rock out but would like some advice from you guys first. HELP!!!

Edit: I've already adjusted the lights lower, adjusted the auto-feeder for less and increased the flow.

The water readings are as follows:
Nitrates: 5-10 ppm
Phosphate: 0
Calcium: +520
dKH: 169.6 I dosed the tank with aquavio 8.4 - 1 capful.
PH: 8.3
SG: 1.024

:thanks:

somebody say, "dude! calm down..."

Lol dude! Calm down! No really don't! Got a pic? I'd get the rock out NOW and scrub away till your elbow is sore! I didn't and now fighting it everywhere! It's a hot mess!!! No matter how many times I put my snails on it they are not eating it! Nor is the lawnmower blenny I bought! Good thing he's cool anyways! Post a pic if you can.

Attachments

• image-1374853796.jpg
    image-1374853796.jpg
    198.4 KB · Views: 191
Hair Algae

Here's a pic, it's still in the early early stages and this is the best I could do, this was growing on the glass, so I scrapped it off.

Attachments

• Hair Algae 4-9-2013.jpg
    Hair Algae 4-9-2013.jpg
    239.4 KB · Views: 140
Thanks!

Thanks, I appreciate the feedback! I'm surprised nobody else chimed in on this. My lesson to learn I suppose...

:popcorn:

I suppose, but when I did a search it seemed very few of the 'Titles' said ...Hair Algae..." Including mine! I did look though, I scrubbed a little yesterday and got some snails also, legs are crossed cause I can't type with my fingers crossed.
:lol:

Emerald crab or polka dot hermit never had a problem with either. They work well with cleaning off frags to.

Emerald crab or polka dot hermit never had a problem with either. They work well with cleaning off frags to.

Awesome, thanks for the input! I was considering the Emerald Crab but have heard a couple of horror stories about them and now reluctant. People saying things like, "I came home the see my emerald munching on my anemone..."

After reading that, if it happened i be like, :facepalm:

I had them pick thru a glove polyp rock next day all the unwanted algea gone some polyps damaged but they can get in there and do some fine removing. Never had one go rogue just accidental damage.

I had them pick thru a glove polyp rock next day all the unwanted algea gone some polyps damaged but they can get in there and do some fine removing. Never had one go rogue just accidental damage.

I embracing the idea more and more just hate the idea of loosing some treasures... I may pick one up within the next few days. Thanks for the reassurance!

(y):thanks:

What is your magnesium at? Sometimes low magnesium seesm to speed its growth, and many have reported success eradicating it by boosting back up (1200 +, particularly with Kent Tech M.

Dude calm down!

(ya that's hair algae for sure)

Don't scrub it in the tank, if one hair flys off and gets carried off to another rock it'll start growing and spreading there. I'd take teh rock out and scrub it in a bucket of tank water that you syphoned out during water change time. I't sucks, I battled mine for months and months. Just keep water changes regularly and pull as much out as you can. I got an emerald crab and he ate the left over patches in a few days....

I have no idea what the Magneesium level is, I don't have a way to test for it. I'm going to get an emerald crab, maybe even two. Thanks again everybody I appreciate the feedback.

I have no idea what the Magneesium level is, I don't have a way to test for it. I'm going to get an emerald crab, maybe even two. Thanks again everybody I appreciate the feedback.

I had 3 emerald crabs in my tank and no hair algae ever (not the crabs messing with my corals) but I haven't seen any of them in a while and notice some hair algae growing on a rock and a paly frag a few days ago, so today I did a peroxide dip with the frag and toon the rock out (it was on top of the rock work thankfully) and dabbed peroxide in that, scrubbed and rinsed.. Hopefully that will be the end of it but I might pick up another emerald crab tomorrow since I think the other might have died from me cutting back on feeding :\

Anybody have issues with crab messing with fish. Ive gotta 10g and a maroon clown, will the emerald snap at him?

Unless the fish is small or the crab is big, the crabs generally steer clear of the fish in my experience. Now, they will feed on a dying fish.

Unless the fish is small or the crab is big, the crabs generally steer clear of the fish in my experience. Now, they will feed on a dying fish.

I found a dead Hermit yesterday... As far as eating dead fish, I've only got the one. So, if I get a small emerald then I should be ok?

I think so. My emerald crab, named Oz, is funny when a fish comes around. He puts up his claws, then slowing walks away. Like his is yelling "NOBODY MOVE, NOBODY GETS HURT" then disappears behind a rock.

Back
Top Bottom