Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-09-2006, 11:44 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to jasno999 Send a message via MSN to jasno999
Is the 96W PC lighitng too much for a 10 gallon?

Is the 96W PC lighitng too much for a 10 gallon?

I have this on my 10 gallon tank right now and when I first was setting up my tank over a year ago I read up on it and found out that this would be a good light fixture to have to do a good range of corals from low to medium lighting.

Now I have a guy on thge poard tellign me that 96W for a 10 gallon is a lot and will be too much for many corals?

What the heck???? Can somebody help me find the truth here?

Old 02-09-2006, 11:51 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Oh and it is a set up so that there are 4 tubes btu they are all connected to the one ballast point. IT is a 50/50 lighting format.

Old 02-09-2006, 11:55 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

That "guy" would be a girl and Fluff is correct. 96w on a 10 gal is a bit much for mushrooms. 5 WPG is a good general rule. Just get corals that do not require lower light levels.
Old 02-10-2006, 12:00 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yep, that would be me, a she. I did say it was alot of light and more light than mushrooms would tolerate as well as most "easy" corals which is what you were asking about.
Old 02-10-2006, 08:55 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Now I have read other posts on this board that say whne it comes to a floresent type of lighthing that 7+ W per gallon is desired. So I get different information from different people.

DO you guys think that is the reason I am havign such issues with alge overgrowth. I am doing 20% water changes each week to two weeks. I am using an RO system so the water is clean. Yet I still have alge all over my rocks and can't get it to die down. Even added some Cheato alge to try and suck up any left over nitriates/nitirites.

My leavels all look good but the alge continues to grow.

Well as for the mushroom I am goign to try to grow it. I have it at the lowest part of the tank so it is gettign the smalles amount of light possiable. I still think that the lighting is good but not overkill. I remember realyl going over this before makign the purchase and from what people said the 96W was the way to go.

I will let you guys and girls know what happens. But I will keep an eye out. How can I tell if a mushroom is gettign too much light?? What are the signes of burning?

The bubble coral I have in the tank seems to be doing very well. He is fully inflated the entire time the light is on.

IF my lighting gets overpowering I will simply add a glass 3/4 cover to the top of the tank. That will cut the light getting to the tank by a small amount but it will help.
Old 02-10-2006, 09:44 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Your gonna find lots of differing opinions in this hobby. I don't see that as a bad thing but it can be confusing. All you can do is decide which opinion you want to accept. Alot can be learned through trial and error. Adding the glass will limit gas exchange so if you go that route, I would only add half the canopy if that's possible. Only under the lights. If your mushroom shrinks up and/or starts to turn white, that's some signs it's not happy with the lighting. I have a mushroom at the top of my tank and it's bleached out along the edge that is closest to the light. Unfortunately for it, it's on a nice size rock and can't be moved unless I scrape it off.
The lights could contribute to the algae issues. Try shortening your light cycle and see if that helps.
Old 02-10-2006, 09:56 AM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Alage growth is tied to two things. First its tied to light levels. Since most algeas are photosynthetic of course the more light you have the more algae growth potental. Second algae growth is dependant upon water quality. If you can test your water for phosphates this will give you a good indicator on aglage growth due to water quality. If you have high phosphates then the task is to decide where they are comming from.

I personally have a 250W MH over a 20 gal tank so thats 12.5WPG if you want to use the WPG calculation. While your lighting the 10 with a quad 96W bulb is alot of light for low light corals its not alot of light for the higher light corals like SPS and alot of the LPS. If you want to keep the lower light corals you can place them in areas that get indirect light by aquascaping so you have areas of slight shade or you can have them under a higher light coral so the higher light coral somewhat shades the lower light corals.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 10:00 AM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to tecwzrd
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasno999
I am using an RO system so the water is clean.
RO water can still have po4 (which can contribute to algae) so I’d test it before adding to the tank to make sure. Every aquarist has to deal with algae breakouts every once in a while and it probably is partly due to your lighting schedule which might help if you reduce as Fluff mentioned. Also you might want to change out your bulbs if they are older then 6 months to see if that helps.
Old 02-10-2006, 11:48 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

One thing I have learned so far in this hobby is... this is not a one size fits all hobby. everyone has their own opinions and what may work for some may not for others. It can get very confusing, I think that is one of the reasons this makes a great hobby you are constantly learning. take in everyones advise and make a plan that fits you. you will learn alot. I will say this though the people here are great they are sincere and just want to help us. I have seen several post where they have given advise and people just did not want to hear it and they did the complete opposite. needless to say they were back on the site asking for help.( with alot of I told you so) I listen to everyone and if everyone is saying no than there is a reason but if you have a difference in opinion then there is room for your own judgement. That is just me.
Old 02-10-2006, 04:41 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thanks everybody I do appreciate your input and I learn from all that you say.

Right now I have my lighting only running for about 8-9 hours a day. I think that is what I have it set for. I will double check.

I use RO water and I thought that was supposed to remove all po4??

tecwzrd - If you say the RO system does nto do that then how the heck can you every truly get rid of po4?

I am doign water changes and will continue to go a little above and beyond to make sure levels are good.

As of right now the bubble coral and the bushroom coral that I have are both placed at the bottom of the tank. When I have my flow right and my salinity right both corals are fully open or extended. So I guess right now all is good. I will watch for bleaching for for the coral closing up.

As for the light I am not goign to replace it so I have to deal with it. Biggest issue is the amount of alge I have. I am hoping the chaeto I added will help reduce the alge but so far nothing. I can try to reduce the light one time some but as is I don't have it on for that long a period each day- so I don't want to reduce it too much.

Guess it is trial and error. I will keep the skimmer going, change the filter cartrige, do my water changes and keep an eye on things. I wil ltest for the basic stuff but might have to look into a po4 kit- thought I am not sure what to do if I find out my po4 levels are high. Heck that is the reason I purchased the RO system.

Tags
10 gallon

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com