Is the Cycle over??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

findad

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have been doing a fishless cycle for the past few weeks on a 75 gal with 30 gal sump (maybe 22 actual gallons in sump). I am using the ammonia method, and here is a brief overview:

After filling the tank and getting the temprature up, i started a HOB filter with a cartridge and bio wheel from another tank, started adding ammonia until I reached 4 ppm (it took 25 ml), then tested and tested and tested, watched the nitrItes climb then the nitrAtes, when they went back down I would dose it again and watch the levels go up then down. I have repeated this 6 times now, the last two took less than 24 hours to consume the nitrItes. Between times i would add a 5ml dose to feed the bacteria while i was researching to decide if it was done.

So I think I am ready...right?

The thing I am questioning is, shouldnt I have high nitrAtes now? Last nights test showed zero across the board??? Can this be? Most of my research has said that you will need to do a 50-75% water change to bring down the high nitrAtes??? :confused:

Iam ready to start moving fish, but dont want to screw it up.

I've never cycled using pure ammonia, but yeah... the nitrites turn in to nitrates, so it seems a bit odd you're not seeing any nitrates show up. What type of test kit are you using for the nitrates?

so it seems a bit odd you're not seeing any nitrates show up. What type of test kit are you using for the nitrates?

The nitrates did climb, to around 40, but then they came back down??

I am using two different trusty ole API kits, my kit is the newest, and i obtained one with this setup and i ave been using them both and they have been consistant with one another, hence my confusion

Oh... as long as you saw them appear, I'd say your cycle is complete. But why they disappeared so quick - that's kinda odd. Deep sand beds can house bacteria that convert nitrates to nitrogen gas, but those normally take several months to get established. Same with some of the other nitrate-reducing methods out there - they take time to establish.

Can't say why they disappeared, but it does sound cycled.

another peice of the puzzle, it had only been tornd down for 2-3 days, with water standing over the substrate, but no flow or heat?? Could that be a factor? not a DSB, about 1 1/2-2"

Back
Top Bottom