Is there a correlation?....Hair Algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

So, now that I have this hair algae on a few rocks so quick, I began thinking of why it came so quick besides the obvious of a new tank, light, feeding, tap....

Anyway, a few days before I cut out some Calpura from my tank. It was rooting in the sand and it had about 6-7 leaves. Very shortly after came the HA??

I still have a few pieces growing but I am not going to remove them yet.

What are your thoughts? Could it have been helping in nutrient export that much as to cause a bloom when I removed it?

It could have been, but it is really hard to say. Caulerpa is one of the more efficient nutrient exporters. If it werent for the "going sexual" aspect of it, it would probably be number one for everyone.

I agree as I have a fuge full of it. It could be the reason. I keep Grape calerpa which has caused problems but I keep it pruned by giving a handful to the tang and keep fuge lights on 24/7. I think your obvious reasons that you stated might have a say so also. But try some PWC`s and try to take out the HA when you do. Good Luck.

HA

I have manualy removed most of it but I left a little in. I am setting up a temporary AC HOB mod for a fuge to help with export.

Should I put some calpura from my tank in there and just trim it every now and then. It is more efficient than Chaeto, especially for a small fuge?

If you leave the light on the refugium 24/7, the Caulerpa will be fine. If you give it hours of darkness, it will go sexual and possibly overrun your reef. Chaetomorpha does not have this issue, nor will it leach out, (like Caulerpa often does).

Hey Mike, You`ll need to have a light on your HOB and have it on 24/7 if you have calerpa. Keeping it pruned is good. If you know anybody with a tang they will buy it off you. about every week I`ll get a big ball of it and feed my tangs. It will last about 3 days before it is gone. I keep alot in my refuge and nitrates and excessive nutrients are always at 0. But I have heard cheato is good also but I`ve never had it. Grape calerpa has been in my tank for 9 years now. But as stated if not kept a watch on it can be a problem.

Mel,

I have little calpura and a ball of chaeto in the tank. I bought a 13 watt clip on Flourecent light to use temp. until my mini CF comes in. So betweeb Cheato with light when tank is off, and calpura with light all the time, you would rec. the calpura?

EDIT: How about this see pic. "Red Macro Maybe" I actually like this and have it on a few rocks. One if them looks like a tree. If I prune this is ok to leave in the main?

Attachments

• red_macro_112.jpg
    red_macro_112.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 32
You could do either one but the calerpa will need more attention. I personally like the calerpa but I also spend about an hour a day on my tank. If you dont spend much time on your tank then Cheato might be the way to go.

Is that pic after you trim it? If so, sometimes it is easier to see how it grows, in order to tell what kind it is. It could be some sort of Galaxaura or Gelidiella, maybe more like the 2nd one, but I'm not sure.

The second one I have is much thicker and grows like a tree branch. That is the one I really like. Either way I will trim if neccasary.

This pic is the way it has been and I have never trimmed it yet.

Back
Top Bottom