Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-25-2004, 01:43 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Is there a reason...

my metal halide lights don't turn on until I've flipped the switch 5-10 times? This simply won't work with a timer.

It's a 250w ballast and bulb - brand new, here:

http://diyreef.com/shop/product_info...7880d4061f758f

Is it a matter of working the bulb in? Is the ballast just not strong enough? I now noticed that an Icecap ballast is an extra $15 - would that help? Is it a better ballast? What if I used a 175w bulb instead?

And the men who spurred us on sit in judgment of all wrong, they decide and the shotgun sings the song.

125 SW
80 lb LR
330w PC
Euphyllia, Alveopora, Pachyclauvularia (Metallic Green and Daisy), Frogspawn, Torch, Gold Nepthea, Kenya Tree, Galaxea, Pulsing Xenia, various leather (umbrella, toadstool, fingers, devil fingers, lettuce)
Maroon Clown/White tip LT anemone, Powder Blue Tang, Female Swallow Angel, SixLine Wrasse, Solar Fairy Wrasse, Firefish, Fathead Anthias, Blue Mandarin, 3 Chromis, 3 Green Gobies
Clown Monarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2004, 07:37 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

If you use a 175W buld it won't light at all....or it will explode.

Sometimes they will work with a timer when they won't start with the switch, if it were me I would take it up with the vendor and look for a replacement.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2004, 07:43 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Maybe I'll give them a call and see what they say.

And the men who spurred us on sit in judgment of all wrong, they decide and the shotgun sings the song.

125 SW
80 lb LR
330w PC
Euphyllia, Alveopora, Pachyclauvularia (Metallic Green and Daisy), Frogspawn, Torch, Gold Nepthea, Kenya Tree, Galaxea, Pulsing Xenia, various leather (umbrella, toadstool, fingers, devil fingers, lettuce)
Maroon Clown/White tip LT anemone, Powder Blue Tang, Female Swallow Angel, SixLine Wrasse, Solar Fairy Wrasse, Firefish, Fathead Anthias, Blue Mandarin, 3 Chromis, 3 Green Gobies
Old 12-25-2004, 07:53 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to Bang Guy
When you turn on the switch do you leave it on for a few minutes? They don't flip on instantly like incandescent bulbs.
Old 12-25-2004, 10:20 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I turn it on and most the time it flickers and goes off after 5-6 seconds, once in a while it actually lights. If it doesn't light within the first 2 seconds, it doesn't seem to do anything after that. How much time would it generally take?

125 SW
80 lb LR
330w PC
Old 12-26-2004, 12:11 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Well, Bang Guy, you were right - after some testing it generally takes about 10 minutes to fire up.

Thanks for the help, guys!

125 SW
80 lb LR
330w PC
Old 12-26-2004, 11:57 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to Bang Guy
Glad I could help. It'll probably start to light up faster once it's broken in.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com