Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-26-2005, 10:32 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Is there a way to bring Calcium levels down?

Well after trying to find out why my Ca levels were so high 580ppm + I did a unscientific test... I mixed some fresh saltwater up to match the salinity of my main tank and let it sit for a couple of hours and checked to make sure the levels were still the same.
Next came the Ca test... After testing I was floored,from the 5 gallon bucket to the water 580... (Im using Oceanic salts).Is there a way to buffer this or should I go to a different salt or could this be isolated to this bucket which by the way is almost finished. I like the way this stuff mixes and is very clear as Im sure other brands are,its just that I have not had the opportunity to try others because of the five gallon bucket (200 gallon mix) Is there a consensus of a good particular brand?

Old 11-26-2005, 10:54 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

a lot of people like instant ocean, i do, but 580 is crazy. maybe you just got a bad bucket or something.

Old 11-26-2005, 11:42 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorian965
a lot of people like instant ocean, i do, but 580 is crazy. maybe you just got a bad bucket or something.
Instant ocean and Oceanic salts are two different types of salt...Im not saying anything bad about Oceanic its just I have very high Ca levels.
Old 11-26-2005, 02:37 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

What is your water source? Are you using RO/DI or Tap? Well water can be very high. If using tap I would check that first before you do anything. I suspect this is the culprit. I had the same issue with phosphates when I first strted out. No matter how many pwc I did I could not get it down. Then the light went on and I checked the source.

Just a thought, I would be very suprised that any comercial salt mixes would come out that high unless it is a bad batch.

HTH,

Tank: 90 Gal SW Reef in the making

See my info for setup and inhabitant details:
afilter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2005, 04:41 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by afilter
What is your water source? Are you using RO/DI or Tap? Well water can be very high. If using tap I would check that first before you do anything. I suspect this is the culprit. I had the same issue with phosphates when I first strted out. No matter how many pwc I did I could not get it down. Then the light went on and I checked the source.

Just a thought, I would be very suprised that any comercial salt mixes would come out that high unless it is a bad batch.

HTH,
I took your advice and checked my water source,which by the way is tap water...I know please no flames,The water I get here is decent quality and mine is filtered as soon as it enters my house,and all the LFS use it too with no adverse affects including algae outbreaks.
The only algae in my tank right now is coralline algae, anyway the reading was nil, no Ca in my tap water atleast it was undetectable by my Ca test. I'm going to go and get a small bag of Instant ocean and give that a check,Ive read that Ca levels are low with that brand,if they are maybe I'll try and mix the two to see what happens...could not hurt.

edit: I have read that Ocean brand salts have higher Ca levels than other brands... after I purchased it...
Old 11-26-2005, 05:28 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
I used oceanic salt for a long time. It never had readings that high.
Old 11-26-2005, 05:33 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hara
I used oceanic salt for a long time. It never had readings that high.
Just to be sure of the readings I took some to the LFS and he was floored with the 600ppm reading he got... Our thinking is a bad batch... I took just the salt and he mixed it right there...
Old 11-26-2005, 05:37 PM   #8
SW REEF 15+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Could it ba a bad test kit
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2005, 05:40 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by melosu58
Could it ba a bad test kit
mine and his? I guess it could happen but , I would'nt think both tests were bad. I hope.
Old 11-26-2005, 05:45 PM   #10
SW REEF 15+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

What I mean is the brand name. Was his the same test kit or different brand

melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calcium, level

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com