Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-13-2006, 11:08 AM   #1
AA Team Emeritus

Is there a "Y" connection for a return pump?

Trying to avoid elbows or "T". Want to take my 1270 gph and split it to go to both sides of the tank (dual overflows). It's a 1" thread on my pump. Guessing a single tube for about 8", ball valve, then "Y" connector to both returns.

Anybody done anything like that, or am I doomed to use a "T"?

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 11:39 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I used T, but I could see where a Y would be benificial. Check your local hardware store in the garden hose area. I know there are Y spigots for them. You would need to do a bit of plumbing. Make sure you get a palstic one.

Good luck,

Tank: 90 Gal SW Reef in the making

See my info for setup and inhabitant details:
afilter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 12:11 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
I have never seen a Y fitting and I have also looked for them at the hardware stores but there isnt much need for them in the plumbing market outside of aquariums. I know you can get Y fittings for the locline product or you can get Y fittings for tubing. See link below.

http://www.marinedepot.com/md_search...itemsonpage=15

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 03:05 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to robertfah
Go to your Local Hardware store and get a Y-splitter for a garden hose. You can then find fittings to match your hose coming out of your pump. I use one in my RO/DI water storage unit to pump water from my top drum to the bottom drum (http://www.robertfahey.com/gallery/v/FishTank/WSU/ <-- there's an image of it in that album on my site.). They are cheap, like 5 bucks or something close to that.
Old 03-13-2006, 03:10 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Although it might be very difficult to find for purchase, they are made:

http://www.labconco.com/_scripts/Edi...sp?ItemID=1133

http://www.dwyermfg.com/pvcteesyselbows.html (scroll to bottom)
Old 03-13-2006, 07:50 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Thanks everybody! I think the Marine Depot version w/3/ 1" barbed fittings might do the trick. Tech advice @ MD said with a hose clamp or a ziplock, it would do fine with a 1270 gph running into it. Vinyl tubing from/after the "y" to the returns. An in line ball valve going into the "Y'

Ya'll think that'd work?

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

Old 03-13-2006, 09:59 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Hose clamps will work great. Tighten them down so they hold the hose real well but not so tight that they cut into the tubing. You can get some hose to PVC adaptors also and convert to pvc after the Y aswell if you wish.

Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
Old 03-13-2006, 11:57 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

FWIW heating vinyl tubing at 200 degrees for 5 minutes makes it much easier to work w/. Best of luck on your project!
Old 03-14-2006, 10:28 AM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

Great!! Ordered the "Y" and some other plumbig stuff from Marine Depot yesterday.

Thanks again.

Old 03-14-2006, 10:37 AM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorfreak
Although it might be very difficult to find for purchase, they are made:

http://www.labconco.com/_scripts/Edi...sp?ItemID=1133

http://www.dwyermfg.com/pvcteesyselbows.html (scroll to bottom)
The labconco link is for a Y connector for PVC duct work. A bit to large for our enviorment at Duct Connection Diameters: 12" x 12" x 16".

The second is in metric sizes so I dont know how well that woudl match up with the normal standard plumbing dimensions.

Seems like someone should make these in standard sizes aswell. There is definatly a market for them in the aquarium hobby.

Tags
pump, return pump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com