Is there an algea "ladder"?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SCFatz

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've been hearing something here and there and thought I'd key it in....

Some people believe its diatoms then bubble then hair then cyano ect...(just guessing the order)....Something all new tanks go through.A progression of algea propagation it seems, as though getting past one leads to the next until its all experienced (and cured or starved I guess).

Anyone here subscribe to that theory?Or at least heard of it?

Not me. I`ve seen cyno start from the beginning. I dont think there is a progression but that is IMO

The only "progression" would be of typical levels in a new SW tank. Each of those algae thrive on different types of elements in the tank. So as a new tanks mature many go through similar stages so the algae show up in similar patterns. But every tank is different so some may see a different order or not see certain algaes at all etc. It's just coincidence and not somthing as "set" as say the Ammonia-Nitrite-Nitrate cycle order of things.

HTH

Thanks all...kinda what I figured.I have it not run into it online so much so as in LFSs...both costomers and the occasional well versed sw employee.At least one employee did believe it was set in stone like the bacteria cycle and she herself was about half way through by her estimation.

I guess if enough new tanks come around the same way a slight sloppy pattern may start to develope.That logic is probably encouraged by the the fact that diatoms show up first in almost every case.

Never heard of this. Ideally coralline will be the only algea we see. Most algea is introduced as spores on LR, water (from new fish purchase) or other things we introduce to our systems and then thrive or not based on the conditions in our tanks as BillyZ explained.

In theory if you could set up a sterile system you would never have any algea growth because the spores would not be present.

Just like the might Oak you must first have a seed. :)

HTH,

Back
Top Bottom