Is there any other clownfish I can keep with a false perc?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dr.Nate

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a false perc....any other clown I can get that would get along with it okay?

I would say that their are no other clownfish that u coul keep unless you buy another clownfish in the next cuple of days/weeks so that the one u may get wont go into or disrupt the territory that ur old one has claimed.

HTH

I waited 4 days before getting another True Percula.

I dont think you should wait too long or you run a risk of fighting.

How long have you had the perc? I wouldnt suggest getting another kind only another true perc. Rearrange the rocks a little before you introduce the second one.

uhhhhhh, thats not gonna be good. I would agree that re-arranging the lr would help reduce its territoiality. So i would suggest getting a slightly larger false perc so they might be able to become a mated pair.

Hmmm 5 months is quite a while. Rearrange the LR and see what happens.
So i would suggest getting a slightly larger false perc so they might be able to become a mated pair.

Im not sure that i totally agree with that i would try to get one about the same size. If the one in your tank has been alone for 5 months it may have turned female already....Its a possibility.

Actually clownfish dont turn female if there is just 1 of them.

Chances are its still a male.

Get one that is bigger (That has always been the rule of thumb, bigger).

You would tend not to bully a guy thats 10' tall 400 lbs right? Now you put someone 3' tall 60 lbs or something, you have a better chance of bully that one.

depend on the size of your percula and the size of the tank.
if your tank is 100g+ you shouldn't have any problem of keeping 2 sets of clown fish in it.However,do keep in mind all clown fish are very teritorial, it will really depend on the personality of the fish have.If they don't get along and being"selfish" on their teritory, doesn't matter how big of the tank u have they will fight over with each other.Sometimes providing the correct anemone will help, but again pure luck on that cuz most clown fish do share the same type anemone as their home.
I have 2 small mated true percula, they got chased around by 2 of my clarkii all the time, when i introduce a ritteri into my tank, those 2 percula got right into it and start to defending it. and clarkii is running away from them so that would be an example for you.

I have a mated pair of false percs and a clark's clown in a 29 g. They get along just fine and each are hosted by something different.

Never ever add a larger clown to a tank with an exhisting clown. It's begging for trouble. The larger fish (mated or not) will almost always be female, not male depending on age, even if solo. The best advice is always add the smallest specimen you can find and at the very least, ½ the size of the incumbant fish.

The chances of introducing a second female is greatly reduced if the newcomer is quite small. It will typically still be male or even a nueter. If adding a larger fish, you will most likely be placing two females in the same tank which would be disasterous.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom