Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-12-2010, 03:08 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Okay, here is a Quote from ccCapt on another site:" Baking it( baking soda) drives out the extra co2, so instead of being sodium bicarbonate, it's sodium carbonate. It also has the affect of slightly raising the pH where unbaked baking soda, because of the extra co2, will slightly lower the pH."

Old 05-12-2010, 03:09 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

But remember that it also raises KH.

Old 05-12-2010, 03:14 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

yes the new salt mixed water is 7.6. Okay so using baked baking soda will slightly raise the ph but also the kh then?
0o.Kelsey.o0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 06:08 PM   #14
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
You alk at 161 ppm is fine. It's not high at all (161ppm = 3.2 meq/l = 9 dKH), but still, don't use buffers to raise your pH. 7.8 is OK. It's on the low end, but still OK.

Try this.
What do you mix your new water in? Can you take that container outside and let it mix overnight in the fresh air? Test the pH. I bet it's alot higher than 7.8. Basically, the reason for your sort of low pH is too much co2 in the water. That higher co2 level is probably from the glass top PLUS high co2 levels in your house. It's pretty normal in cold weather climates where houses are closed up during the winter that there is a higher co2 accumulation, which will cause the low pH.
Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 03:21 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

okay well i went ahead and did the water change so ill just keep an eye on it and hope the ph doesnt drop any lower. Thanks for all the feedback guys..and ill try the outside thing next time perhaps..there was no way i was carrying that big bucket of water upstairs and outside lol but i did open my window to my room if that helps
Old 05-13-2010, 02:40 PM   #16
AA Team Emeritus

No else asked so I will.
What time of day are you checking your pH?
The pH tested just before lights on will be the lowest reading for the day. The test done just before lights off will be the highest reading for the day. Test the pH at the same time every day for comparison.

I use the baked baking soda (1 hour + at 350 +) as an additive, and yes it is designed to raise Alk and also raises pH temporarily. Now that my Alk is stable my pH ranges from 8.12 - 8.25 (I have a pH monitor and check before I leave for work and just after lights out). I have turned off my Alk drip for now.

RODI water has ZERO buffereing capacity and probably a low pH until it has mixed with some fresh air for a while. RODI should then be mixed with salt miz to a SG of ~1.025. Let that mix overnite with a power head and then test the pH and Alk of the new sw.

You may need to buffer your salt before adding it to the tank.

Which salt mix are you using?
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 08:11 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Over all, remember to do it slowly.I know it's Paranoid, but remember that the ocean is just sooooo bigggg. hahha
Old 05-13-2010, 10:42 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

im using H2Ocean pro salt and i tested it throughout the day haha but after the lights had been on for a few hours. I am going to test it again now since i did the water change last night. I believe my kh is stable at about 9 or 10 dKH so i dont think i will add anything to temporarily up the ph. I have, however, slightly increased the current on my tank so that might help...i cant increase it too much since it is a seahorse tank

I will let you all know what test results i get...also the lights have been on for about 9 hours
Old 05-14-2010, 12:34 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

alright test results:

ph about 8.0 maybe even 8.2! hard to tell with the color card. I think increasing the current probably helped alot...i noticed today before i increased the current that the top wasnt draining properly and there was a layer of junk (oils n such) floating on the top of the water. I got that all fixed up now with the current change.

kh about 7 or 8 dkh...this went down from about 9. is this probably due to the water change? should i add a kh raiser or just leave it be?

Thanks!
Old 05-14-2010, 04:30 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

You're doing great. Just look for a stable level and keep it that way. Stablity is what you are looking for.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com