Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-11-2010, 11:00 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Is there any way to higher the ph without effecting the kh?

Is there any way to higher the ph without effecting the kh? The water i am using is too low in ph (prob about 7.4). When i try to raise the ph (using baking soda or the kh raiser), the kh gets wayyyy too high. Is there something to buy that only raises the ph? My tank is also a bit low. It does have a glass lid which i try to keep open mostly and it has an open sump.

0o.Kelsey.o0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 10:12 AM   #2
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
The low pH is probably caused, in your case, by an accumulation of co2 because of the glass tops. What is your current alk level?

This article should help.
Low pH: Causes and Cures by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com
"Buffers alone are not generally a good method as they raise pH little, and result in excessive alkalinity. Unfortunately, the labels on many commercial buffers are written in ways that convince aquarists that the pH will be fine if they just add some buffer. More often than not, the pH is not improved for more than a day, and the alkalinity rises beyond desired limits.
Two other useful methods include growing macroalgae that absorb some CO2 from the water as they grow (often lit on a reverse light cycle to the main tank to provide the maximum pH rise when the main tank is at its pH minimum), and aerating the water with fresh air."

Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 12:43 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Attachment 23614

This is the glass top, like i said its open like this probably about 90 percent of the time, the only reason it would be closed is if another family member decided to close it. Would this still cause the ph problem even though its only about 2/3 covered? I do have some chaeto algae in my sump.

I do not think the main tank is the problem i think its my ro/di water which is very low in ph before i even put it in the tank. I will be doing some more testing today since i still have not done the water change due to this ph and kh problem.

oh and the kh in the tank is about 9 drops if i remember correctly so 161.1 ppm KH. Keep in mind that this is after i added some kh raiser to the main tank

i guess theres not much i can do for the problem. Thanks for the article though i skimmed over it and will read it in more detail now
Old 05-12-2010, 01:05 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Your RO/DI is not your problem. It's pure water so it should be around neutral and you are only adding it to makeup for evaporation. When you use it for PWC's you mix it with your saltmix and bring everything up to what your tank water should be, SG, PH, KH, Temp. and so on.
Old 05-12-2010, 01:45 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

okay but even with the freshly mixed water the ph is still very low...like 7.4 or lower ( my test only goes as low as 7.4) can the ph raise once it is in the tank? im using H2Ocean pro salt. Those results are from my tests last night i am currently mixing up some new water and ill do the test again
Old 05-12-2010, 02:04 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

also i just tested both of my main tanks (my 28 gal nano and 40 gal hex) and they are both only about 7.8 for ph
Old 05-12-2010, 02:19 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

7.8 is okay as long as it's stable. You can slowly raise it using baking soda but that's only a temp. solution to your problem. Check the list on of ingredients on the salt to see what it's PH is for that mix. Don't raise the ph in the tank do it to the pwc water and do it slowly, What animal(fish corals) do you have in your tank? Do you have lots of coralline algae in your tank?
Old 05-12-2010, 02:30 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

D-D H20
Temperature - 26c
Salinity - 35ppt
pH (Salifert) - 8.60
pH (Pinpoint) - 8.90
Ammonia - 0ppm
Nitrite - 0ppm
Nitrate - 0ppm
Phosphate P - 0ppm
Potassium - 370ppm
Strontium - 4ppm
Calcium - 415ppm
Magnesium - 1350ppm
Alkalinity - 8.1Dkh

(Got that off of another older chat comparing salts)

The tank im worried about it the seahorse 40 gallon. It is newer so does not have much coralline in it. There are 3 seahorses, one pipefish, one firefish, 5 hermits, one golden coral banded shrimp, ..think thats it. No corals since my new lighting has not come in yet. This tank has the sump with the cheato algae.

How does the coralline effect the ph?

The reason im so worried is the seahorses, i've read that they are very sensitive to ph levels and water changes should have ph levels the same. Also ph should be 8.2-8.4 for them.
Old 05-12-2010, 02:31 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

im going to test the mixed water now for ph. Does the baking soda also raise the kh?

okay so mixed is only about a 7.6
Old 05-12-2010, 02:50 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

The ph of the salt mixed water is 7.6? Yes, baking soda will raise PH. Now you can use baked baking soda but I kind of forget if it's the baked(350 degree for 40 mins) or the unbaked that raises PH.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com