Is there such thing as to much filtration?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ScotJ

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm new to salt water aquariums, and I'm in the process of buying a variety of stuff of eBay (a bad habit of mine), including filtration equipment.

So far I have my eye on a protien skimmer, UV steralizer, and RO system; all of which are for tanks larger than the 110gal tank I'm looking at.

Is there a problem with OVER cleaning the water? Is there nutrients that I might be cleaning out of the water that I shouldn't?

I went by my local Big Als, and the kids in there were not very helpful.

Thanks in advance!

With what you mentioned will be great.
Most all of your "nutrients" come from your salt mix.
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

IMO most manufactures over rate their equipment. Just like the mileage sticker on a new car. I would recommend getting one size larger than recommend on your skimmer and filter. There is a point where larger is not always better. Like a skimmer for a 500 gal system will use more power with little or no benefit.

For a RO unit any size will work if you have don't mind waiting for your water. Do get the DI unit with it.

As for ebay watch out for cheap knock offs. I normally would not mention any names but it would be an Odyssey if they lived up to your expectations.

As for ebay watch out for cheap knock offs. I normally would not mention any names but it would be an Odyssey if they lived up to your expectations.

Ditto on that. I see by the listing you posted that it includes a "top of the line" protein skimmer. Wow... it's so "top of the line" that they can't name names! With lighting and skimmers, I always say you get what you pay for. Getting no-name/knockoff products in those areas usually means you'll be rebuying it again in 6-12 months. If saving money is the thing, then I'd look for good quality used stuff instead.

As far as filtration I would just get LR and a skimmer. That`s all you really need. I agree with what everyone else says.

LR = Live Rock. The UV isn't necessary. I would opt for a sump system with anything over 75g. The most popular skimmers on the medium to high-end market these days are: Octopus, Bubble King, Bubble Master, Vertex, and ATI.

Back
Top Bottom