Is this a bad Idea?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VAguy39

Aquarium Advice Regular
I added an AquaClear HOB filter to my 26 Gal tank. It had been running with only a HOB Skimmer. I have 35lbs of live rock and about 2 inches of sand. I added the filter because I was looking for a place to run different types of media like carbon and such. I know I need to keep the filter clean or it can add Nitrates. I already have a bit of a problem with nitrates. I can never seem to get them below 30. I do weekly 25% water changes with LFS pre made RO salt, and I use their RO fresh water for top offs. I have checked their water for excess Nitrates, and Phosphates, all their levels look good. I have a clown, a royal gramma, firefish, and cleaner shrip in the tank. I feed once a day. I have added quite a few nice corals to my tank and they all look good, but I really want to drive my Nitrates down to below 10 if possible.

Ant thought?

Thanks,

I do not think Carbon will help your Nitrates, but you could build a simply DIY denitrator. I built one for my 175 and in about 6 weeks in took my Nitrates from ~25 to undetecable. I am happy with it and it only took a little while to tune it in properly. I am working on the diagrams for the denitrator and the Kalk Reactor so as soon as I put them together I will post the info.

Fish load is certainly not a problem. I would turn to feeding as a possible source of the high NO3. Cut backt o very light feedings every other day. What do you curently feed and how much? You can also add another 10-15lbs of LR to help with the NO3.

I alternate between pellets, mysis, formula 1 frozen, and sometimes flakes when i am in a hurry. Feeding may be my problem, I do try to go easy on the feedings but I notice some food does make it to the bootom and does not get eaten right away, I do have a good amount of hermit crabs to help with the cleanup. I will try cutting back on the feedings.

Thanks,

Back
Top Bottom