Is this a good deal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spoonman

Aquarium Advice Addict
Found these on Craigslist. I can get them for $300. I was going to use one on my 75 and sell the other. They look like Current lights to me, but I'm no expert. Looks like they have the legs and it says the bulbs are new.

AQUARIUM fish tank LIGHTS

Found these on Craigslist. I can get them for $300. I was going to use one on my 75 and sell the other. They look like Current lights to me, but I'm no expert. Looks like they have the legs and it says the bulbs are new.

AQUARIUM fish tank LIGHTS
Personally I'd spend the money on some new LED"S. Between the fixture and the first bulb change which would cost you around 150 bucks you could get something nice and not have to buy bulbs for a long time.

on second thought they look hugh proably wouldn't fit your tank and the bulbs would be much more. Did you get the length.

Oh ok then they'll fit but 8 bulbs will be expensive to change thats why I suggested the LED's

I think it's a great deal. An 8 bulb T5 HO fixture rocks. Too often, the latest and greatest thing (ie LED's) steam rolls over everything else that has created success in the past (MH, T5 HO, VHO, Compact Flour).

I'd jump on it and sell the other fixture. In the end, you'll have reef lighting to keep just about anything in your 75 for cheap.

I think it's a great deal. An 8 bulb T5 HO fixture rocks. Too often, the latest and greatest thing (ie LED's) steam rolls over everything else that has created success in the past (MH, T5 HO, VHO, Compact Flour).

I'd jump on it and sell the other fixture. In the end, you'll have reef lighting to keep just about anything in your 75 for cheap.

But it's not cheap that about $150 every 8 to 12 months on bulbs or can spend $320 for taotronic LEDs and that's it for awhile. I have them above my 55 and they're amazing I can keep sps in the sand bed

Attachments

• image-574444166.jpg
    image-574444166.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 71
Got them for $275 for both. The bulbs are less than 6 months old and they are Current Nova Extreme fixtures that are $400 new. Have one on the 75 and will advertise the other for around $200 and see what happens. I will be buying LED's in the future, but for right now this was a good deal.

The profit from selling the new one is gonna go towards bulbs in 4 months...but other then that good find and good lights should be able to keep just about any coral

But it's not cheap that about $150 every 8 to 12 months on bulbs or can spend $320 for taotronic LEDs and that's it for awhile. I have them above my 55 and they're amazing I can keep sps in the sand bed
T5s don't need to be chanegd that frequent, at 60% of T5HOs life cycle they out out over 90% of their original output and sayign a T5HO lasts rought 30000 hours 60% is 18000 hours at 10-12 hours a day is roughly 1200 days thats 5 years. MH is where the lights dimand at 40% life they are down to 70% their original output and they last about 15000 hours.

i hadn't changed my lamps in a year and ahalf on my 4 lamp fixture and noticed minimal change in spectrum color or intensity and the corals were un effected.

http://www.energywisegroup.com/tsadvantages.html

i'm not sayign go 3 years without lamp changes but to say 8 months, you're just pissing money away.

in the long run LEDs will save you money i just picked up a 48 LED kit from rapid LED that will easily light up a 75g and at peak those will run half the wattage of the T5HOs and possibly put out the same intensity. granted they did cost me $500 for dimmable but the tank will run cooler and they will allow me more functionality

Last edited:
Thanks for that tidbit. That is good info. I though people were replacing lamps a little too often. I figured I could at least go 2 years or so on brand new bulbs.

Back
Top Bottom