Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-21-2003, 11:26 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Is this a LFS Deal or Not?

Okay... on the same topic of LFS.... What do you guys think of this?

90gal R/R Tank, Light Fixture, Glass cover, Stand & Canopy (OAK) ... $899

This was split off from the topic called "The LFS is hooking me up". Just wanted to make sure the two did not get confused.

Old 03-21-2003, 01:41 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via ICQ to tyler Send a message via MSN to tyler
how are you with diy? you could go mh for less money if you're a handy fellow. i guess i really don't know if that's what you'd want, but i think it's a good option. and you could use your pc's as actinic supplement.

Old 03-21-2003, 01:45 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

what's MH?
And, I'm not a handy guy...so...I don't have much choice... I'm going to drop the light fixture and get a Coralife aqua light fixture (4 x 65W 48").... from www.hellolights.com
Old 03-21-2003, 01:58 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Is a 250W heater enough for a 90gal tank or should I opt for the 350W -

Pro Heat II Titanium w/ digital LCD display...
Old 03-21-2003, 02:24 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

not very good ,I was looking for something that didnt run very hot
Old 03-21-2003, 10:08 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
That's as good a price as you'll find on the complete setup. He's selling it to you for wholesale. Can't get much better than that.
On the heater for the 90, two heaters is better...it gives you some redundancy. I kinda doubt you want to spring for two of the Pro Heats though as they are not cheap. Here's what I'm planning to do with the 180: 350w digital Pro Heat with a 300w Visi Therm or Ebo Jager. The Pro Heat will be set to the desired tank temp and the other about 2* below. That's still a little below the curve for a 180, but the tank isn't close to outside doors and the climate control in the building is excellent. For a 90, I'd recommend 2 heaters that total about 5-6 wpg. If one heater fails, the other will provide enough heat to keep the tank from getting critical. If one sticks on, it'll take a lot longer to overheat the tank than one large heater would.
Logan J
Old 03-22-2003, 08:31 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

PrettyFishies-

Depending on the brand of the tank, if the stand and canopy were custom made or not, and what kind of lighting fixture it comes with will really is going to factor if the price is right or not. Also when you say reef ready, do you mean just a drilled tank, or drilled and a filter system? if the filter system is included, thats a good price, if not, it's hard to say.

just my 2 cents.

Mr. Durgen
Old 03-23-2003, 12:11 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyFishies
Is a 250W heater enough for a 90gal tank or should I opt for the 350W -

Pro Heat II Titanium w/ digital LCD display...

I also have a 90gal and I'm using 1 250watt Ebo Jager and 1 250watt Pro Heat II. Both are in the sump. I keep the Ebo Jager set about 1 degree below what I want my tank at and I fine tune with the Pro Heat II because its controls are at the plug and not submerged. BTW don't trust eithers temperature setting use a good thermometer. JMO
Old 03-23-2003, 12:17 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Is the proheat a good filter, I like the idea of the controls out of the water, not under it. My heater is as low as it will go, temp is at like 80!
Old 03-23-2003, 12:34 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by d9hp
Is the proheat a good filter, I like the idea of the controls out of the water, not under it. My heater is as low as it will go, temp is at like 80!
I'm pleased with the Pro Heat II so far. It has a nice digital read out on controller of tank temp and a temp dial to adjust temp, but I don't trust dial I go by thermometer and make small adjustments. Your temp being at 80 with the heater turned all the way down would make me think you have another heat source ...... eg. lights, submerged pumps, etc.

Tags
lfs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com