Is this a steal or what????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

two11devan

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I was at a LFS store that was going out of business today. The owner was selling all of his display tanks. $1 a gallon for glass and $2 gallon for plexi. I was talking with him and he said he just took down his friends tank. Its a 75 gal plexi with overflows, wet/dry, pumps, chiller and light hood (2 MH lights/PC lights and 2 moonlights ). He said he would probably take $500-$600 for the whole set up. I've been away from this for a while but it sounds like a steal to me....right????

$500 would be a good price depending on the condition of the tank. Acrylic tanks do scratch easily so look for that so make sure it is in good condition. Also, make sure it has never had any type of medication added to the tank, otherwise you just baught yourself an expensive QT tank.

There is no way to clean the tank out if it has been medicated? Hmm...well the guy hasn't called me yet so we'll see!

two11devan said:
There is no way to clean the tank out if it has been medicated?
Not completely true but it really depends if copper was used if it was medicated. There are a lot of “reef safe” meds on the market that would not have an adverse affect towards corals/inverts.

Do you know what the tank was stocked with before it was taken down? If it had corals/inverts in the tank then more then likely it’s OK. If it was FOWLR I’d be extra cautious with this purchase. Seeing old photos of it stocked would be a big plus (y)

The chiller/lighting alone is probably worth $500+ if they are relatively new. If the light bulbs are over a year old then they will all need to be replaced which can be costly ($200-$300) so keep that in mind.

Ok, found out the tank was a reef tank that never has been medicated. Its supposedly in really good condition (I still have to take a look at it to be sure). i saw the lighting hood and it looks like a pretty new set up. Should be getting a call this weekend to take a look at it and maybe pick it up!

Ok, I finally got a call from the guy today. Found out its actually a 125 gal tank with an overflow! :D Thats even better! The price will be $500 for everything he has...sump with skimmer, chiller, MH lighting hood, extra MH lights and pumps. He is sending me pics today and if all goes well, I'll be the proud new owner tomorrow at 10am 8)

Here are the pics he sent me today. The lighting hood is at his friends LFS. I have to pick that up there.

I have a 30 gal glass tank sitting around. I also have a aqua c remora skimmer. would it be better to make the 30 gal into a sump?

two11devan said:
I have a 30 gal glass tank sitting around. I also have a aqua c remora skimmer. would it be better to make the 30 gal into a sump?
The larger water volume is always better. That wet/dry looks like it only holds about 8-10 gal and a 30 would hold about double filled 2/3rds. You may want to run both skimmers since the Remora alone is pushing it for a 125 gal depending on planned bio-load.

Tank looks like it’s in pretty good shape. Pretty clean too, did they have it set up so it could be viewed on both sides like a wall tank? Minimal scratches from the looks also :D

Well, I am now the owner of it and all the equipment. Im planning on building the stand for it and turning my 30 gal tank into a sump and maybe a refugium.

It was set up to be viewed on three sides. Thats why there is only one overflow at the one side of the tank.

There is a pretty nice size scratch on one side of the tank but it works out perfect because its going to be the back wall for my set up. There are some minor scratches on the front also but nothing too bad. He gave me a scratch removing kit that he had for the tank. Does that stuff really work???

If i have the glass sump, what would I use to make the compartments inside the sump? Should I use glass or could I use Acrylic?

I will post some pics of everything I got a little later. Thanks for all the input! I will be asking for a lot of help since I have never had a system this big before!

If you have a glass tank for a sump then I’d use glass panels for your baffles. Here is a good DIY thread for building your sump if you’re not sure.

Back
Top Bottom