Is this a terrible idea?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BLUElobster99

Aquarium Advice FINatic
3.5 inch purple spot mantis with a fuzzy dwarf lion in a 50 gallon tank?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

IMO yes, lions are messy fish and having one will effect the water quality enough that the mantis won't do well.

I also would strongly recommend slowing down, a newly cycled tank isn't ready for a mantis. They are sensitive and need stability that's just not there in a new tank, especially with a first time sw aquarist.

Either one isn't too hard to keep, but together as mentioned would be a challenge in a 55. Not as far as space, but shrimp need very stable conditions that a seasoned system can provide.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

IMO yes, lions are messy fish and having one will effect the water quality enough that the mantis won't do well.

I also would strongly recommend slowing down, a newly cycled tank isn't ready for a mantis. They are sensitive and need stability that's just not there in a new tank, especially with a first time sw aquarist.

+1 I believe that it was discussed in your other threads that it would be best to just stick with the mantis only for now. Getting some time under your belt first with this delicate creature while exploring possible directions to go forward later on would be my advice. A mantis only tank is my dream but I'm still learning SW with a nano and it's only been not quite a full year for me.

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you.

+1 I couldnt agree more.

Back
Top Bottom