Is this all that's left of my hermit crab?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ketchup318

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've had this happen every now and then. Just noticed another casualty today. Is this my hermit crab?

Why is this happening?

ForumRunner_20131005_000306.jpg

Hard to tell but it looks like a molt. If you can see the front of the body looking exactly like the crab and then the back part being opaque or lighter and kind of torn open, it's most likely a molt so maybe see if he switched shells.

Hey faye

Thanks for the help. it's the best picture that I have... I'll try to blow it up. But from what I remember, you could see most everything, the little pinchers, a few legs, and in the back it looks like tissue. I originally thought my pistol shrimp tore it out of it's shell to eat it.

This has happened like 4 times before. I really can't remember if I bought 10 or 5 hermit crabs with my CUC. Before this happened, I remembered only seeing about 4 crabs, so I was really confused about what was happening.

I'm pretty sure it's a molt. I've been tricked before too!!! Plus if something was going to eat your hermits, they'd fully eat them.

Back
Top Bottom