Is this bubble algae going sexual?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

seafan

Aquarium Advice FINatic
O.K I had a receant post about Calerpa taxafolia, I was able to get that under control by removing the offending algae. Now my bubble algae is doing it I think, look at this picture and tell me if its so...

Attachments

• sexual_algae.jpg
    sexual_algae.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 113
I would say yes, it looks like it is starting... When i had grape I never really looked at it till it was after the fact.. after 3 times of nuking my tank it was history.
I would prune some and see if that helps. Do a search on google about this subject and you will get some info..

That isn't bubble algae, that's grape caulerpa. I've not had mine go sexual (yet) so I can't comment there, but it can't hurt to prune it back.

Sorry I thought that was just a misnomer, I thought they were both the same thing.

Bubble algae is this really cool (nusience) algae that grows in the tank with transluscent green marble sized balls. When they burst they spread the algae around the tank. I've seen some the size of grapes, others golf balls. Those are just crazy! You'd have to see it to believe it.

[edit to change "clear" to "transluscent green" for a better description of bubble algae... don't ask what made me call it clear, lol]

If calepra goes sexual, it first turns white.
Bubble algae is a different animal, don't sweat it, no harm. No toxins involved.

The guy at the LFS said that I might not be adding enough Iron, I add 5ml of a supplement with Iron chloride in it every day (C-Balance). I think I just have too much grape Caulepra, and they are competing over nutrients.

Prune some on out of there. It will just grow back if it is eating nutrients anyway. I can't seem to grow the stuff. I've changed my lighting, photo periods, etc. and I can't seem to keep macro alive. Odd because I'm not running a skimmer in any of my tanks. You'd think it would be growing happily.

Prune some on out of there
That is exactly what I did.

On a completely unrelated note, what string of code do you use to specify who you are quoting. (I.E Quote:seafan
Blah,Blah)

Code:
[quote="seafan"]On a completely unrelated note, what string of code do you use to specify who you are quoting. (I.E Quote:seafan 
                      Blah,Blah)[/quote]

If you click on the Quote button inside of a given post it puts the code in the reply window for you (v. the quote selected button under the quick reply text window). The above is the text that it put when I clicked that button from your message. I just trimmed out what I didn't need from it.

Phyl said:
If you click on the Quote button inside of a given post it puts the code in the reply window for you (v. the quote selected button under the quick reply text window). The above is the text that it put when I clicked that button from your message. I just trimmed out what I didn't need from it.

Thank you

Back
Top Bottom