Is this coral healthy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It never swells or opens or put out feeders. Just looks exactly like that every day and night. Never changes.

looks good hows the water flow around it
if its no blowing up maybe it needs more flow
since I moved my lobos more into a stronger current they inflate more

Will try that because it's not in a high flow area.

Foxface
Hippo
Sailfin
Watchman gobie
3 clowns
Coral beauty
Yellow tang
Several crabs
2 engineer gobies
6 small blue and yellow damsels

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with beta, 17 fish is a bit much for your tank. Engineers put out and especially large amount of waste on their own. Some people say as a rule of thumb for salt water is 1 in of fish for 5 gallons of water (1:5) other people say 1:2, but there really is no rule of thumb in salt water in my opinion because of how much waste a tang or engineer puts out will throw that scale off adversely. I know this is off topic but thought I'd help give you an idea about it so as not to " poison" your corals with the water.

So the coral is not extending or inflating? Is the edges around it white like showing skeleton? I would move it can't hurt to me it looks like its dying try to find a spot were it starts to open. Did you dip it? Reason I ask is I dipped mine to long and it looked similar and lasted about two months. Fish are happy i see no problem with them in there.

To answer your question... your coral looks fine. however, my tip would be to move the coral around the tank until you find the best spot for him. a happy coral extends his polyps.

For the people who can't read: the question was "IS THIS CORAL HEALTHY"
it's none of your business how many fish the guy has or if the tank is over stock or not! :banghead::deadhorse:

No skeleton ever showing and it still has its color around the edges. Although it does to seem a little bleached. Will try to move it to a lower light area. I am running maxspect LEDs. Thanks for the tips. Fish all seem to be happy and healthy. Parameters in check with pwc.

To answer your question... your coral looks fine. however, my tip would be to move the coral around the tank until you find the best spot for him. a happy coral extends his polyps.

For the people who can't read: the question was "IS THIS CORAL HEALTHY"
it's none of your business how many fish the guy has or if the tank is over stock or not! :banghead::deadhorse:

Actually it IS good advice regardless of the question. Yes answer his question but if we can help by preventing future problems please do. I have learned a lot but if some sees something in something I post please share as I hope this op would like to know too..

With that said, the brain seems fine, as long as no skeleton is showing and its survived that long it should be fine. Its feeder tentacles should come out at night. Take a small pen light or flashlight and look a couple hours after the lights are completely off.

As for potential overcrowding problems just do what you're doing, keep up with the water changes and give the foxface and tangs plenty of algae sheets to keep them healthy and happy.

Actually it IS good advice regardless of the question. Yes answer his question but if we can help by preventing future problems please do. I have learned a lot but if some sees something in something I post please share as I hope this op would like to know too..

With that said, the brain seems fine, as long as no skeleton is showing and its survived that long it should be fine. Its feeder tentacles should come out at night. Take a small pen light or flashlight and look a couple hours after the lights are completely off.

As for potential overcrowding problems just do what you're doing, keep up with the water changes and give the foxface and tangs plenty of algae sheets to keep them healthy and happy.

Yes and keep testing your water. You may find nitrates could be inhibiting the coral growth as it blocks calcium from being absorbed by coral to grow. This is the point I was trying to make with my previous comment, although as TimaT point out its "none of my business" to try and help out in a thread.

Nonsense. If you ask for advice, you will get it. A coral may well not open up if there are too many fish. Perfectly rational question to ask. If its not any of our business, don't bother asking. TimaT, you're just afraid somebody will have an issue with a potentially overstocked tank with species that get up to a foot long. That and the waste they produce can have an effect.

Last edited:
it's none of your business how many fish the guy has or if the tank is over stock or not!
banghead%20-%20Copy.gif
:deadhorse:

It was a observation so chill...............

Back
Top Bottom