Is this diatom, or what?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GinaD

Aquarium Advice Activist
This may sound like a silly question, but since I only recently heard the word 'diatom' in recent months, and most of the descriptions I've read are that it is a brown color. :? Mine is more rusty-red/brown.
If this is diatom, which is thick into this patch of sand only, will sucking it out with a syphen hose control it ok, or is it too late and I'll need to take other steps?
Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• algae_004_167.jpg
    algae_004_167.jpg
    185.4 KB · Views: 32
Looks like cyano to me. Syphoning it out with airline tubing will help but you need to address the issues causing it. Excess nutrients in your water. Doing extra water changes will help. As will replacing old bulbs, feeding less, addition of extra water flow, etc. There is an article on cyanobacteria in AA's article section. I've posted the link for you. If it is diatoms, it will be powdery and it will die out on it's own over time. Cyano is slimy and kinda lays in sheets.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/article_view.php?fldAuto=48&faq=2

have you checked your water for phosphates? that is the main food source for cyno.
touch it and see if its slimy, if it is its cyno. Check your top off water for phosphates and new SW for it also, doing water changes with water that contains PO4 is just feeding the problem.

Back
Top Bottom