Is this enough light for most corals?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smoothie7

Aquarium Advice Activist
We have a 90 gallon saltwater aquarium that measures 48" long, 24" high and 18" deep. We have the Current USA Orbit Marine LED in 48". My wife and I are wandering if this LED light is strong enough for corals or if it should be a fish only tank. We currently have a few mushrooms and zoas but are contemplating making it a fish only tank and moving the corals to another aquarium if the lighting isn't good enough. What are your thoughts? Thanks for the input. http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3733+10704+27873&pcatid=27873

Not enough light. Even if the LEDs were top quality bulbs at 120 lum per watt, you would need closer to 200 watts, not 36. Sorry. And likely those lights are much lower quality around 60-70 lum per watt or lower

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Softies maybe, but you'd probably have to put them higher up on the rock work.

I have the same fixture over a 40b tank and its "just" enough for me to keep softies and some LPS. But a 90g tank is waaaay taller than mine so it wont really do much for you unfortunately. I love all the features but its just too limiting of a light.

so after some thought, my wife and I have decided to make the 90 gallon tank a FOWLR.

Fish only, those are like .5 watt led's. You need 3 watt led's

Myth! Or a misinterpretation of actual factors.

I would take 2 high quality Cree 0.5 watt LEDs at 120+lum per watt over a lower quality 3 watt led at only 50 lum per watt.

It's all about the quality of the LEDs and SIZE has absolutely nothing to do with it.

What makes you think I was talking about off brand leds? I run Maxspect Razors, I am quite aware of led differences. Although I do not buy the theory that an 3 watts off brand is better than a .5 Cree

Watts are watts, photons are photons. The difference is in efficiency. How many lumens do you create for that power draw. I have had great success with panels that had 120-1 watt LEDs and panels with 60-2 watt LEDs as well as panels with 40- 3 watt LEDs. If the lensing is right, they all work.

Maybe I'm too easy, but if a light will grow my GARF Bonsai this fast and retain it's bright purple colors, that's all I need.

Last edited:
Exactly Greg. It's all about efficiency.

If you have .5 watt LEDs at 120 lum per watt that is better that 3 watt LEDs at 100 lum per watt if the total power is the same.

Holy, your statement that 3 watt LEDs is better than 0.5 watt LEDs is misleading. That statement origin is loosely based on the fact that MOST 3 watt LEDs tend to be higher quality than most .5 watt LEDs. But not always, and that is where your repeated statement is misleading.

It's all about TOTAL WATTS X EFFICIENCY.

Not sure how to start a new topic. New to this site. I need advice. Started this hobby 2yrs ago, my original tank, that was full of great stuff (bacteria, etc) wise & growing like crazy started leaking. I then upgraded to a 72g tank, which I'm having trouble with. Lost my favorite guy, my manderian and my blue tang. I figure not enough to eat in the new tank :-(

Exactly Greg. It's all about efficiency.

If you have .5 watt LEDs at 120 lum per watt that is better that 3 watt LEDs at 100 lum per watt if the total power is the same.

Holy, your statement that 3 watt LEDs is better than 0.5 watt LEDs is misleading. That statement origin is loosely based on the fact that MOST 3 watt LEDs tend to be higher quality than most .5 watt LEDs. But not always, and that is where your repeated statement is misleading.

It's all about TOTAL WATTS X EFFICIENCY.

Bottom line, if they had stuck more powerful LEDs in the light unit being talked about, then the light would be more useful. As it stands, those fixtures are BARELY useful for planted tanks.

Not sure how to start a new topic. New to this site. I need advice. Started this hobby 2yrs ago, my original tank, that was full of great stuff (bacteria, etc) wise & growing like crazy started leaking. I then upgraded to a 72g tank, which I'm having trouble with. Lost my favorite guy, my manderian and my blue tang. I figure not enough to eat in the new tank :-(

What are you using to post? Web browser, Tapatalk, or the AQ advice app?

Back
Top Bottom