is this even possible ?!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

OceanMist

Aquarium Advice Freak
the weather has been quite hot recently over here and I am replacing my evaporated water litterally every other/day with tap water (left outside for a day or two), anyway this is water with no salt - yet i keep checking my hydrometer and it says the salt level is increasing, why ??

... I can understand it falling, or staying the same, but increasing when i'm not even adding salt ?!?

It's simple, you just have to think about it. Say you lose 10 percent of water each day, and replace it with 10 percent tap water. If you lose another 10 percent the next day, you'll lose some of the tap water added the previous day (in that loss percentage you have tapwater from the last day). The salt never evaporates.

It's kind of like a 50% water change one day, and a 50% water change the next is not a 100% water change. Thats the kind of theory I suppose that I'm trying to get across.

I think brodie is trying to say it is increasing just like the ocean increases. (more is added but it never leaves) Your tap water has some sodium in it. Steve is suggesting if you have a water softener is uses salt as a media which would definitely increase your SG. Use distilled it will definitely not increase.

Back
Top Bottom