Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-04-2004, 07:21 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Is this good?

I have 3 small pieces of coral in my tank, not including some on the lr. I want to have lots of it!!! I purchased this today, is this ok?

Kent Marine Tech CB
I got part A and B.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...al&Np=1&N=2004

Old 06-04-2004, 07:55 PM   #2
steve-s

It a decent enough product for low demand additions. Just be absolutely sure you check the levels before dosing with a proper alkalinity and seperate Ca test. Be sure the liquids are dosed at least a few hours apart and at equal portions.

If the tank gets a heavier demand you may need to switch options but if you end up liking the two parts, check out ESV B-ionic

Cheers
Steve
Old 06-04-2004, 07:59 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sorry Steve, but I have no idea about alkalinity, and Ca. What am I testing for? When should I use it, when should I not? I really dont understand what I purchased. The lfs has a beautiful tank full of corals. He said this is what he uses. So I thought, well if it works for him......well you know.
Old 06-04-2004, 08:12 PM   #4
steve-s

The two part liquid additive replenishes the alkalinity and calcium levels (w/trace levels of Str and Mg) within the tank. Corals and such that deposit CaCO3 as part of their growth will use these two elements the most. The more the number of these types of animals, the heavier the demand. For 3 corals, weekly water changes would be your best bet.

A little "light" reading
Calcium ...by Mike Andrews
Chemistry in the aquarium... Various Authors

What kind of corals are they?

Cheers
Steve
Old 06-04-2004, 08:15 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Xenia
Pollips
Shrooms
Brain I think on lr, and probably some others.

These coral are very small. They were frags. The pollips have almost split. The xenia is growing good.

Thanks for the articles...will read today!
Old 06-04-2004, 08:19 PM   #6
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by revhtree
Xenia
Pollips
Shrooms
Brain I think on lr, and probably some others.
These corals will not represent a demand on the chemistry as yet. Once the brain gets bigger it might (coralline as well) but soft corals never will. I would still suggest reading the articles so you are prepared when you start aquiring more stonies.

Cheers
Steve
Old 06-04-2004, 08:23 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Good to know. I will hold off on the kent for now, and get prepared for the future. Thanks Steve.

PS. How in the world do you know all this stuff? Your amazing!! Thanks!
Old 06-05-2004, 11:06 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

[quote="steve-s"]Be sure the liquids are dosed at least a few hours apart and at equal portions.

ESV B-ionic

Why is this? I add both of them at the same time and have not had any problems. I thought I should add them at the same time to keep the pH balanced and not have it go up and down. Does it work better a few hours apart? Thanks.
Old 06-05-2004, 01:02 PM   #9
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManMac
Why is this? I add both of them at the same time and have not had any problems.
Most of the Part B additives sold also contain minor trace elements including Magnesium. If Mg is added too soon after an alkalinity additive, the two form carbonate magnesium. The system will not be able to use this effectively and you end up wasting at least some of the additions. It can also slow the growth of corals if calcite forms. Depending on the flow within the tank, I would wait at least 1-2 hrs between each part.

Cheers
Steve

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com