Is this good?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It a decent enough product for low demand additions. Just be absolutely sure you check the levels before dosing with a proper alkalinity and seperate Ca test. Be sure the liquids are dosed at least a few hours apart and at equal portions.

If the tank gets a heavier demand you may need to switch options but if you end up liking the two parts, check out ESV B-ionic

Cheers
Steve

Sorry Steve, but I have no idea about alkalinity, and Ca. What am I testing for? When should I use it, when should I not? I really dont understand what I purchased. The lfs has a beautiful tank full of corals. He said this is what he uses. So I thought, well if it works for him......well you know. :?

The two part liquid additive replenishes the alkalinity and calcium levels (w/trace levels of Str and Mg) within the tank. Corals and such that deposit CaCO3 as part of their growth will use these two elements the most. The more the number of these types of animals, the heavier the demand. For 3 corals, weekly water changes would be your best bet.

A little "light" reading :wink:
Calcium ...by Mike Andrews
Chemistry in the aquarium... Various Authors

What kind of corals are they?

Cheers
Steve

Xenia
Pollips
Shrooms
Brain I think on lr, and probably some others.

These coral are very small. They were frags. The pollips have almost split. The xenia is growing good.

Thanks for the articles...will read today! :wink:

revhtree said:
Xenia
Pollips
Shrooms
Brain I think on lr, and probably some others.
These corals will not represent a demand on the chemistry as yet. Once the brain gets bigger it might (coralline as well) but soft corals never will. I would still suggest reading the articles so you are prepared when you start aquiring more stonies.

Cheers
Steve

Good to know. I will hold off on the kent for now, and get prepared for the future. Thanks Steve.

PS. How in the world do you know all this stuff? Your amazing!! Thanks! (y)

steve-s said:
Be sure the liquids are dosed at least a few hours apart and at equal portions.

ESV B-ionic

Why is this? I add both of them at the same time and have not had any problems. I thought I should add them at the same time to keep the pH balanced and not have it go up and down. Does it work better a few hours apart? Thanks.

MadManMac said:
Why is this? I add both of them at the same time and have not had any problems.
Most of the Part B additives sold also contain minor trace elements including Magnesium. If Mg is added too soon after an alkalinity additive, the two form carbonate magnesium. The system will not be able to use this effectively and you end up wasting at least some of the additions. It can also slow the growth of corals if calcite forms. Depending on the flow within the tank, I would wait at least 1-2 hrs between each part.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom