is this light any good?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A 6 lamp T5HO fixture will let you grow softies and LPS. What makes T5s so powerful is their individual reflectors. The fixture mentions having a reflector, but I don't see 6 individual reflectors in the fixture. Maybe they're there, but I don't see it. It will also need some sort of acrylic cover on the bottom to keep salt water and salt creep from touching the inner fixture. I'd look into it a bit more.

The power of the light @ 360 watts ( HO ) total seems OK, but I think there are other problems with it.
The reflectors will not be designed for light penetration.
Without a splash lens, it's dangerous, and corrosion is a real problem with salt water. Unless it were mounted really high, to avoid water, thus limiting the lights power even more, corrosion will eat it up quickly, inside and out. IME/IMO, it wouldn't last more than 2 years, mounted above a tank, being a fire hazard the whole time.
Also, it says the bulbs are 51 watt. 4' T5HO bulbs are normally 54 watt. 6x51=306, not 360.
You may have an issue finding bulbs in the correct color temperature for an aquarium as well.
With all these factors considered, you should be able to find a T5 HO unit designed for aquariums, for $20-40 dollars more than this one.
Just my opinion, but I wouldn't do it. Best of luck!

Well I'm buying the light for way less then that price.. And it will come with brand new bulbs. The guy bought two of them to put over his 120 when he was building it but then went to LEDs. $150 is what I'll pay for it and the new bulbs

Those lights aren't designed for aquarium use. I can see no individual reflectors on those bulbs. I'd definitely skip that fixture. The choice is up to you, just be careful with your corals down the road.

Back
Top Bottom