Is this normal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marco V

Aquarium Advice Freak
This I woke up and saw my anemone the largest it's been since my wife brought it home but now just a few hrs later it looks like it pulled itself in . Is this normal ?

Attachments

• image-302892182.jpg
    image-302892182.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 116
I too am worried about the lighting. Also how old is the tank? They need a mature tank of at least a year old.

I've had it for 2 weeks now. My aquarium is barely 1 month old . My wife went out and bought some stuff without knowing if it was safe or not . I have 260 watt T5's.

It's a 4 bulb fixture and here are my last test results from the 24th
Ammonia 0
Trate 40
Trite 5
Ph 8.4
Alkalinity 125.3
Salinity 1.023
Calcium 380

It doesn't look like you're finished cycling. There should be no trites whatsoever. Trates are high as well. Once you're done cycling, you should aim for <5ppm trates, 1.026 Salinity.

I've seen some BTAs under a 4 bulb T5 fixture, but they've always been high on the top portion of the rock. You could use a bit more lighting to be honest.

I'd return the anemone if you can and wait a bit until things are a bit more stable.

Well returning it is out of the question because I gave the shop a piece of my mind for selling my wife bubble algae as coral . I'm going to see if my buddie has room in his tank to hold it for a while . I really don't want to buy another fixture , is there any add-ins I could use or am I going to have to buy another ?

I'm sure there are add-ins you can try. a 4 bulb might be enough if you have a piece of rock close to the surface of the water. But you really should wait a bit until your tank cycles before adding any fish or inverts.

It also depends when it was doing that.

I just started my saltwater tank about 2 months ago. I kept a blue damsel for about 3 weeks before I made the regrettable jump to a clownfish and anemone. The guy at the store was dumb too.

I did not know about the water circulation pump, RO water, the minimum salt levels, or the fact that the minimum was a 6 month waiting period before adding nems to the tank. I am getting the impression people like to take advantage of women's knowledge or lack there of in salt water aquariums.

I just bought a 2 bulb t5 but it won't be here until Thursday.
Long story short... my sabe anemone turns itself into a cacoon at night which I hear is normal. Is it only happening while the lights are off? Or is this in plane lighting?

Okay that's what I was hoping. I also recently learned 12 hrs with and 12 hrs without lighting is good

Back
Top Bottom