Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-01-2005, 01:19 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Regular

2 weeks now... Everything is normal reading wise. 2 peppermint shrimp, 3 emerald crabs, and 2 red legged hermits. All appear healthy and happy. I`m going to wait 2 more weeks till I try a fish. But thought I`d share an update. Also my live rock is starting to show growth of life. Purple and red algea is growing from rock to rock day by day now and I`m noticing more living things on the rock itself. I`m going to post pics of the progress when I get the chance.

Old 04-01-2005, 03:21 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Seaham is right. A "Cycle" is nothing more than the process of building up of the very bacteria that may very well already be present on your LR in sufficient numbers to serve as an adequate filter. YOu may experience very little additional "cycle" ... but it is wise to test to system's response to additional bioload - in the form of a shrim, not a live fish.

The cycle needs to be maintained with an ammonia source for the bacteria to break down.

Livestock I added:

1 skunk cleaner. 12 hermits: red, scarlet, blue. 15 or so assorted snails. Discosomas, Ricordia, Rhodactis mushroom corals, chaetomorpha (sump), 1 feather duster, Montipora digitata, Montipora capricornis, Montipora hispids. assorted zoos, Xenia, Kenya tree coral, green Sinularia, green star polyps, branching hammer coral, bubble coral, Devil's hand leather. Yellow chromis, purple firefish.

Hitchhikers: the usual suspects :crabs, bristles, urchin, mantis shrimp (now in exile in mantis tank)

List of possible/likely newcomers:

Feather duster. PJ cardinal, Bangghai cardinal, Firefish goby, Clownfish, Neon goby, Yellow watchman goby, Orchid dottyback. Various corals.
midiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 07:03 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Regular

i'm in a similar situation.

added 130 gallon tank.

added shrimp (decomposing well) and 40kg of live rock 8 days ago, the cycle still hasn't started yet.

nitrite - 0.1
amonia - 0.1
nitrate - 0.1
phosphates 0 - 0.1
ph - 8.3

not sure whats happening, i'm going to leave it for a couple of weeks and monitor it.

mark
Old 04-01-2005, 07:54 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
not sure whats happening, i'm going to leave it for a couple of weeks and monitor it.
That will proably be all you need to do. Ammonia will go to 0, then nitrites, too.

You are still a bit low on the LR, though, if you want to rely on it for filtration. 130 gal can use 85 -120 Kg.

Livestock I added:

1 skunk cleaner. 12 hermits: red, scarlet, blue. 15 or so assorted snails. Discosomas, Ricordia, Rhodactis mushroom corals, chaetomorpha (sump), 1 feather duster, Montipora digitata, Montipora capricornis, Montipora hispids. assorted zoos, Xenia, Kenya tree coral, green Sinularia, green star polyps, branching hammer coral, bubble coral, Devil's hand leather. Yellow chromis, purple firefish.

Hitchhikers: the usual suspects :crabs, bristles, urchin, mantis shrimp (now in exile in mantis tank)

List of possible/likely newcomers:

Feather duster. PJ cardinal, Bangghai cardinal, Firefish goby, Clownfish, Neon goby, Yellow watchman goby, Orchid dottyback. Various corals.
midiman is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com