Is this ok?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

catmel

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I tested my water today, ammonia and nitrite zero, but my nitrate hovers about 10-15ppm. I know it should be as low as possible, but would this hurt / be acceptable to 'easy' corals such as zoos and mushrooms? I had gotten an RO/DI but havent had a chance to hook it up yet due to the weather. I wanted to make sure this was ok before I started adding corals.

Also, if I remember right, I should probably purchase a calcium test and a carbonate hardness test...is this good to start with? ;)

as with fish, I hear drip acclimating corals is best, correct?

thanks! Excited about starting corals here soon!

20 or less is acceptable for corals though lower is better and will promote more growth.

I drip my corals for at least an hour and more depending on how delicate they are. The key is to maintain the temp of the water in what ever you are dripping the corals in.

I`m excited about you starting up on corals too. As Allen said under 20 will be OK with 0 as the goal. It takes a very mature tank to be at 0. I want to see some pics of these corals. LOL

Sounds great! Thanks! :)

Now something I've found out with the new lights - water changes are harder now! Since I cant move the lights and they're only a few inches above the waterI'm finding it very hard to dump water in - theres got to be an easier way! LOL . I dont have a fuge/sump yet, so I cant change it out of there. ( That will be my next project eventually). Any ideas on the easiest way to dump water INTO the tank? No problem getting it out...

powerhead and a hose...pump it back into the tank...dumping it near your light could be a major problem

Ahh good idea. I'll have to see about getting a cheap one. Well the lights hang over the aquarium and as long as I do it slowly it doesnt splash up, it shouldnt be too much of a problem. Since I've gotten the lights I've had to do a small amount of water poured in by a large cup ( takes forever lol..) rather than just my bucket. Powerhead sounds like a great idea.

I will probably stop by the LFS and see if they still have those nice mushrooms I was looking at. I'll post pics if I do :)

Yeah a pump or ph is the way to go. I used to put my water bucket on a ladder and siphone it back into the tank...DUH! LOL! I did that for a few months until I figured out the ph trick.....sometimes I'm a slow learner.

A Maxi-jet 1200 will do the trick with 5/8 x 1/2" tubing. Go to lowes or home depot and get some of the tubing, order the maxi from online and you will be good to go.

Back
Top Bottom