Is this red slime algae or coralline?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DI68

Aquarium Advice Freak
I noticed one of my rocks was changing in colour and I thought it was from the new LEDS and was happy until I felt it - it was slippery but firm. I thought maybe this is the beginning of coralline and then it hardens? Googling coralline I came across another link for red slime algae. Threads on here refer to siphoning it but it appears to be stuck to the rock and has also covered a dead part of a coral recently and quickly. Can someone please ID this for me before I start looking at treatments? Thanks

Attachments

• P1020942.jpg
    P1020942.jpg
    259.3 KB · Views: 173
  • P1020933.jpg
    P1020933.jpg
    250.2 KB · Views: 193
  • P1020941.jpg
    P1020941.jpg
    241.5 KB · Views: 196
  • P1020937.jpg
    P1020937.jpg
    242.4 KB · Views: 179
I'm guessing sponge and I've got some in my tank too, i need to know how to remove it also. It's starting to choke out a head of my frogspawn.

Coraline, well it looks like it. Is it hard or soft? Is it hard to scrape off? Coraline comes in many color but purple is the main variety.

Coraline, well it looks like it. Is it hard or soft? Is it hard to scrape off? Coraline comes in many color but purple is the main variety.

I could press into it and scraped a section with my nail which exposed the rock

Attachments

• P1020944.jpg
    P1020944.jpg
    483.3 KB · Views: 151
  • P1020945.jpg
    P1020945.jpg
    246.6 KB · Views: 158
It looks more like sponge to me. I have a purple sponge growing on one of my rocks that looks pretty much identical to that. Even had my LFS look at pics to be sure, as I was not sure what it was either when it first started growing.
How is the flow in that part of the tank? Any dead spots? Maybe play a little with your flow and dim the lights (if you can) and see what happens. I am definietely no expert, but it looks different than any pics of cyano I have seen.

It looks more like sponge to me. I have a purple sponge growing on one of my rocks that looks pretty much identical to that. Even had my LFS look at pics to be sure, as I was not sure what it was either when it first started growing.
How is the flow in that part of the tank? Any dead spots? Maybe play a little with your flow and dim the lights (if you can) and see what happens. I am definietely no expert, but it looks different than any pics of cyano I have seen.

This rock came with the tank I bought in Jan- partly established. It was originally a dirty looking rock with lots of loose substrate on it but then the fish cleaned it and then those purple areas starting going darker. I will move the wavemaker and reduce the lighting- we have had the LEDs on for about 10-12hrs a day. Is a sponge bad? I was concerned that it is on the coral too. It only seems to be in that area and not the other side of the tank.

It's Cyano
I showed the pic to my LFS and he thought it was cyano however when he showed me an example on his rock- it's not the same. The cyano he had easily came off by lightly rubbing it. This is firm and would need to be scraped? I can see it forming on other rocks too ( now that I am looking for it ) and had to scratch it off - it came off as a piece- not dusty ?

I have had small outbreaks of the same stuff. It looks just like Cyano but it's much tougher. I have a theory the harder stuff is Cyano that's been left in place for a while. It toughens up. Mine was caused by bio pellet dosing. Excess carbon set the stuff off. Coraline algae starts off pink and I have never seen it try to overgrow corals.

I have had small outbreaks of the same stuff. It looks just like Cyano but it's much tougher. I have a theory the harder stuff is Cyano that's been left in place for a while. It toughens up. Mine was caused by bio pellet dosing. Excess carbon set the stuff off. Coraline algae starts off pink and I have never seen it try to overgrow corals.

Thanks- I took some more pics- it's leathery like. What method would you recommend to remove it when it is at this stage?

Attachments

• P1020951.jpg
    P1020951.jpg
    164.5 KB · Views: 136
  • P1020953.jpg
    P1020953.jpg
    255.2 KB · Views: 109
  • P1020955.jpg
    P1020955.jpg
    261.7 KB · Views: 112
Back
Top Bottom