Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-08-2005, 12:43 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

ok thanks

Old 04-08-2005, 02:02 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to pearsont74 Send a message via Yahoo to pearsont74
I dont personally but theres write ups all over...
I can tell you, to quick how to....get a 10 gal and go to HD and get a peice of glass cut as the divider....make sure you measure closey the inside width and heigth you want....if the tank is 12" tall....get the divider about 8" (there are a few ways to do this divider....Id research on it and see how you want it) and buy some glass silicon made for aquariums and glue it in there where you want it
I'll help and try to find some write ups on this that give better details and pics.
you should be able to make you own for about $50 (tank, return pump, overflow and pumping)

Old 04-08-2005, 04:54 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

sounds great thanks for your help i need these nitrates down i dont have any corals or anything but i want them as low as possible you know what i mean
Old 04-08-2005, 05:16 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist

The root of your nitrate problem is probably coming right out of your tap. Did you test your mixed water or tap for nitrate?

Bio-wheels always get a bed reputation on this site. They will increase nitrate if left for too long. Your filter floss is the real culprit in most situations. I have been using them for over a year and not a nitrate. I change water now 10% every 2-3 weeks. They (bio-wheels) only contribute to nitrate if full of detrius. Otherwise they are an awesome aerobic spot for bacteria to work on ammonia and nitrate. This will make your tank more stable as you add livestock, live rock etc. Within a year, plan on removing the biowheels.

Yes, a 10-20 gal. sump would be a real help on a 35 gallon tank.
Old 04-08-2005, 06:20 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist

so i should take out the bio wheels and leave the filter in or out do i have enough live rockto tke out the filter and just let the rock filter out the junk
Old 04-08-2005, 11:45 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Activist

How much live Rock do you have? Do you have crushed coral for a substrate? Nitrate in tap? How about a protein skimmer?

after 4 months, the filter should not be a problem if you remove the filter floss and rinse it weekly. specially with that size bio-load. Only 2 snails, getting a clean-up crew would help. 1 critter per gallon.

Don't pull out anything to fast. it may be the only bio filtration you have.

Tags
strange

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com