is this strange

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pluk1992

Aquarium Advice Activist
does this sound strange i do my water changes on or two times a week after im done i use tap water and i fill a 5 gallon bucket and i have sand rock filter and airator and a light and let that sit till my next change and the levels come out almost perfect is this a good habbit and secondly i have a biowheel filter thing should i change the wheel and the filter and if so how often the lfs told me to let it get as dirty as possible does this sound right

Can I ask you why you would change water once or twice a WEEK? I change mine every 2w doing 20% when I do. I prep the water 2 or 3 days in advance by adding salt and mixing/heating for 24-48 hours. I see no need to light your change water. I don't filter mine either, just use a power head for mixing purposes. I prefer to use RO/DI but if tap is working for you for now that's up to you.

How long has your tank been up and running and how are your Ammo/trite/trate readings?

Can't help you with the bio wheel.

that would be right if it were fresh water...i was having high nitrates and ran duo bio-wheels...after a coupkle weeks i aclimated off the wheels and nitrates are ok now.....the bio wheels should never be cleaned and no need to replace unless they tore for some reason....

doug

trying to lower the nitrate level as much as possible the tank has been set up for 4 months and all i have are two clowns a blenny a crab and two big snails

i say if its workign go with it, as long as you dont mind the labor involved, water changes can be done every week, once is probably sufficient though,
also curious what size tank and how much water change

Just a suggestion, get yourself a cheap 10gal tank and overflow box and use it as a sump....that will give you a for more gals overall and help level out your nitrate. Did I understand you correct that you got rid of those bio-wheels?? I hope so cause they suck for saltwater...your LR and LS is your filter and if you want you can put a divider in your sump (if you do that) and add some LR rubble and have even more filtration.
just my 2cents :)

The DIY forum is FULL of sump diagrams. Take a gander there.

I dont personally but theres write ups all over...
I can tell you, to quick how to....get a 10 gal and go to HD and get a peice of glass cut as the divider....make sure you measure closey the inside width and heigth you want....if the tank is 12" tall....get the divider about 8" (there are a few ways to do this divider....Id research on it and see how you want it) and buy some glass silicon made for aquariums and glue it in there where you want it :)
I'll help and try to find some write ups on this that give better details and pics.
you should be able to make you own for about $50 (tank, return pump, overflow and pumping)

sounds great thanks for your help i need these nitrates down i dont have any corals or anything but i want them as low as possible you know what i mean

The root of your nitrate problem is probably coming right out of your tap. Did you test your mixed water or tap for nitrate?

Bio-wheels always get a bed reputation on this site. They will increase nitrate if left for too long. Your filter floss is the real culprit in most situations. I have been using them for over a year and not a nitrate. I change water now 10% every 2-3 weeks. They (bio-wheels) only contribute to nitrate if full of detrius. Otherwise they are an awesome aerobic spot for bacteria to work on ammonia and nitrate. This will make your tank more stable as you add livestock, live rock etc. Within a year, plan on removing the biowheels.

Yes, a 10-20 gal. sump would be a real help on a 35 gallon tank.

so i should take out the bio wheels and leave the filter in or out do i have enough live rockto tke out the filter and just let the rock filter out the junk

How much live Rock do you have? Do you have crushed coral for a substrate? Nitrate in tap? How about a protein skimmer?

after 4 months, the filter should not be a problem if you remove the filter floss and rinse it weekly. specially with that size bio-load. Only 2 snails, getting a clean-up crew would help. 1 critter per gallon.

Don't pull out anything to fast. it may be the only bio filtration you have.

Back
Top Bottom