Is this the start to Coralline Algae?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CCXGT

Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm not sure how well it comes through in picture..

But the rockwork has been covered in this calcareous green algae for about a month now.

I have recently switched salts from Tropic Marin PR to Red Sea CP, my Alk and Ca have received a lovely boost due to this.

Now I have these tiny pink specs starting to cover the green algae, you can see them by zooming in on that picture.

Could this be the start of the godly pink stuff?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

It looks like it too me that's what my rocks looked like at first

90 gal reef

Quick question: Can Limpets eat Coralline?

Since coraline algae is hard and calcium based, I'm only aware of things with 'jaws' being able to eat it...like urchins for example.

Okay... Can Coralline be starved of light then?

I never realized how much coralline algae my rock borer urchin ate until it died. My rocks have all started turning purple since then. I just wish he was as good at cleaning the front of my tank off.

So I'm thinking I might just use this thread as a Coralline log.
Every week I'll take a picture of that rock and see how it's going.

This is week 2/3:

Though it could be, when I see green on rock it is usually the growth of other algaes. It could turn into hair algae...depends on what the parameters are in all honesty.

Though it could be, when I see green on rock it is usually the growth of other algaes. It could turn into hair algae...depends on what the parameters are in all honesty.

The rock has been green for 2 months, it's just now starting to change.

As far a parameters go:

No idea about Amm and Trites, don't bother testing them. Assuming 0.

Trates are between 5-10.

PH is at 8.

Phosphates are as close to 0 as API shows (yeah I know 'innacurate API...' Blah blah blah)

Alk is at 12dKH.

Cal is between 480 and 500ppm.

Back
Top Bottom