Is this too much for a 75gal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ckmn101

Aquarium Advice Freak
What do you all think of the stock list/bio-load for my 75gal tank? I have well over 80lb of lr and 100lb of ls.
I have:
Regal Tang
Ocellaris Clownfish
Blue Chromis
I would like to add:
Orchid Dottyback (Pseudochromis fridmani)
Mandarin Goby
I was planning on waiting a couple more months on the Mandarin but the lfs has a healthy Orchid Dottyback right now that i’m thinking about. And also if I can catch it I was going to trade the Chromis in.
Thanks

From a bioload standpoint, I would think you would be ok. I am not sure you have enough LR to handle the mandarin though. When I got the mandarin, I added a refugium just for him. Most eat pods and only pods. I lost mine to unknown reasons :(

I have 2-3x the LR in my system.

An important thing to keep in mind that a tank's "biocopacity" is largely dependent on its biological filtration capabilities. A tank using a lot of LR for bio filtration will be able to support a heavier load then, say, a tank that relies on a HOB or canister filter. 80lbs of LR is a great start, I would look to the future to plan on adding another 40-50lbs for maximum biofiltration. Even with little to no biofiltration, the list you suggest will still be pretty light. I agree about the mandarin, with a bit more LR and a few months of matuity, I see no reason your tank should not be able to support one. A fuge would certainly help out and swing the odds in your favor. You also have some other great options for fish, sixline wrasse, purple firefish, royal gramma would all work well into your long-term stocking plans.

Thanks guys. First my tank has been going for 7 months and my Nitrates are always below 10. Hoping the fuge will help drop that number some. I had heard that the two last fish would compete for pods. I just got the fuge up and running and I plan on trying to keep it going with pods to routinely put in the tank. I found a cheap place to buy Copepods and Amphipods to get a good start going and also I was thinking it would be good to occasionally add some extra. I know they already live in the lr but I want to make sure there is plenty.
But I am glad to hear that this won’t be too much of a bioload.
Thanks again

I had a mandarin in my display and a sixline wrasse in my frag tank downstairs. Both are pod eaters. They were separated but the tanks were in the same system. I think it was a mistake since I lost them both :( Not really sure what happened as I never saw their bodies but definitely try not to add fish that compete for the same food source.

Back
Top Bottom