Is this way okay to add kalk?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pomme

Aquarium Advice Freak
Is this way okay to add kalk?

I have got myself some Kent Marine Kalkwasser Mix, and i was thinking of adding it this way.

I have an old 5 litre drinking water bottle, i would add four litres of ro water to the bottle , then add 1 to 2 teaspoons of the mix to the bottle and shake it around. Then let it stand overnight, and attach airline tube in the bottle, with an air pump to come on for 2 mins every hour, to keep it circulating, and also another bit of airline attached down near the bottom of the bottle, but above where the scum will form on the botom, and then set the peri pump to come on in intervals, so puttin in 2.5 litres of the kalk a week, as this is my evaporation rate.

Does this all sound okay?
Do i need the air pump?

Thanx Andrew

imo no air pump needed !! as for the right kalk dosage check ca levels bring up to 400-450 and wait 3 days and check again then divide by 3 and thats your daily usage of ca ! ya need to do this testing id say every couple months due to corals growing using more and more !! then dose that much per day ! no reason to mix kalk in your jug every 2 min shake well let settle and your good !!

steve so i should leave the tank for three dyas without adding anything, then on the third day test ca, and measure the difference, then divide by three and this is the amount of ca i should add each day. how can i work this out into how much kalk to add?

get your levels up first as your doing this!! lets say your ca is at 300 right now and you add 1/2 gallon of water a day for evaporation !! after you add the 1/2 gallon the next morning test your ca and say it jumps to 400 then you know that 1/2 gallon with 1 tbs of kalk will raise it by 100 ppm !! make sure you alway test at the same time of the day !! if not your reading will be inaccurate !!!

Back
Top Bottom