Is UV sterilizer necessary?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stan450z

Aquarium Advice Freak
I used to have one. It was so old it broke. I dont want to bother getting a new one. Is it THAT necessary to have? Water clarity is pretty good - not perfect, and only when you view from the side of the tank you see a very slight yellowish tint. Have a 75g with protein skimmer. Tank has had its better days so on last legs. The investment and work to attach a new one dont seem worth it.

I've heard many opinions and they all seem to float around the idea saying that UV sterilizers shouldn't be used as a replacement to good tank maintenance and care. They can easily be used to hide issues like algae outbreaks but you should always try to rectify the underlying issues. You also have to watch out for UV Clarifiers vs UV Sterilizers as the way they are marketed are usually misleading.

the clarifiers are less powerful and may only be good enough to keep your water looking clear while the stronger sterilizers can actually help with parasite reduction. in the end I think it's a totally optional piece of equipment at least at this point

I have one and have been running it for about 2 months, keeps the water clear,no algae free floating but still grows on the rocks.

FYI it gives off heat so watch the temp.

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Only system I use one on is my outdoor pond, but I have far less control on this system than my indoor tanks. An algae magnet, controlled feeding, photo period management and weekly PWCs pretty much control my algae in tanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

IMO if you are having algea blooms or parasite problems then I would get one. I had one for years but finally figured that it was not worth it unless I had those issues.

Sniper is right, most home grade sterilizers are lame even when new and they get lamer as they run. The uv bulbs don't last long, adds heat and can make a real mess if it fails. I might consider one on a hospital tank, but otherwise save your money. The big ones, that are effective are used at city aquariums and they cost more than your whole setup.

Last edited:
I spent 60 on a grech. Guy has replacement bulbs....but I am considering taking it off because of the heat issue.

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I tried something once. I wanted a good QT system but didn't want to maintain a separate filter. I let my main system supply the water to the QT then used a powerful UV unit on the return. It worked fine and insured the new fish were being acclimated to the reef water with little potential of spreading infections or parasites from them. A good well maintained UV unit operating properly kills everything that lives.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom