Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-24-2004, 02:24 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Is your CPR Bak Pak LOUD?

I picked up a CPR Bak Pak with my mushroom tank purchase, and fired it up in the 70g. It works fine but man it is sort of loud... a vibrating, buzzing sound. Even if you lift it completely off the frame of the tank a little and suspend it from your hand it is just as loud.

When you disconnect the powerhead from the input tube, the powerhead itself runs nice and quiet in the water, almost silent.

But plug it back into the CPR and here comes the buzz again. Weird. I cannot pin it down.

How come all skimmers can't be as well-behaved as my Remora HOB?

Anyone else have a loud CPR or have any ideas?

Old 05-24-2004, 02:28 PM   #2

I have 3 CPR back packs and none of them are loud.
Old 05-24-2004, 02:38 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to RocketSeason
mine was loud. but someone suggested lengthing the air tube to about 2 1-2 to 3 feet and that really did alot to quite it down. It sounds like you might need to secure the powerhead to the input tube tighter or something.
Hardware: 37 gallon SW tank and stand by Oceanic Systems, Magnum 350 Pro Canister Filter (half carbon), CPR Bak Pak 2R skimmer, Maxijet 1200 Powerhead, RenaCal 150 W heater, Compact fluorescent lights with moonlights. 40 lbs of liverock, 3" sand bed.

Software:2 Tank-Raised Ocellaris Clowns, 1 Purple Firefish, 1 Electric Orange hermit crab, 18 Blue Legged hermit crabs, 8 or so Nassarius snails, Xenia, Blue, green, and Green Striped Mushrooms.

Click here to vote for AquariumAdvice.com: The friendliest, fishiest place on the net!

Central Illinois Marane Aquarist (CIMA) member.
RocketSeason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 03:10 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

Mine is very loud as well, but I think it's the PH that's making the noise. I wish I could quiet it somehow.
Fluval 304
CPR BakPak skimmer w/ preskimmer
Aquaclear 201 and 301 powerheads
Tronic 100W heater
2 20W NO lights
5-stage RO filter

Snail crew, Peppermint Shrimp, 2 Skunk Cleaner Shrimp, Percula Clown, Watchman Goby
flynnternet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 03:22 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

flynn if you get a second, try disconnecting your PH from the input tube and see if your PH is loud by itself. That's what I did and I was quite surprised to find that my PH ran very quietly by itself (underwater of course).

I can press my hand all over this thing but there seems to be nothing "buzzing" that I can dampen.

Old 05-24-2004, 04:36 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to RocketSeason
do you have the RIO 600 pump or the other pump that comes with it? I have the RIO 600 and it seems to run quiet enough.
Hardware: 37 gallon SW tank and stand by Oceanic Systems, Magnum 350 Pro Canister Filter (half carbon), CPR Bak Pak 2R skimmer, Maxijet 1200 Powerhead, RenaCal 150 W heater, Compact fluorescent lights with moonlights. 40 lbs of liverock, 3" sand bed.

Software:2 Tank-Raised Ocellaris Clowns, 1 Purple Firefish, 1 Electric Orange hermit crab, 18 Blue Legged hermit crabs, 8 or so Nassarius snails, Xenia, Blue, green, and Green Striped Mushrooms.

Click here to vote for AquariumAdvice.com: The friendliest, fishiest place on the net!

Central Illinois Marane Aquarist (CIMA) member.
RocketSeason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 06:12 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

I'll have to check when I get home. I've gotten used to the "white noise", but it would be cool to have a silent system.
Fluval 304
CPR BakPak skimmer w/ preskimmer
Aquaclear 201 and 301 powerheads
Tronic 100W heater
2 20W NO lights
5-stage RO filter

Snail crew, Peppermint Shrimp, 2 Skunk Cleaner Shrimp, Percula Clown, Watchman Goby
flynnternet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 08:37 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSeason
do you have the RIO 600 pump or the other pump that comes with it? I have the RIO 600 and it seems to run quiet enough.
Looks like a rio on there. No markings but it looks like one.

Tags
loud

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com