Isolating fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scoot

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I added a saddleback butterfly yesterday, and my tang (and a smaller blue damsel) were overly aggressive. He got chewed up a bit, and almost died last night, before I could get him back out, but I kept him moving in a breeder tank, floating in the main.

I probably can't return him to the LFS, as he's got a couple good bites out of his rear fins, so in case he survives, I need to somehow acclimate my tang to this guy.

I could take the tang out into a separate tank for a few weeks, which would eliminate some of his territorial behavior, but he's nearly impossible to catch.

Has anyone had any luck calming aggression using tank dividers, or the bigger isolation net setups?

It seems if I can keep him going for awhile, in plain view of the tang (and damsel, which I'm still not sure was involved with the attack), they might calm down a bit around him.

you can try it...but to be honest, yellows and damsels both are known to have attitudes.

That blue devil is mean! Mine almost chewed up a royal gramma before he could take cover. You could try removing the two for a few days, move around some LR, turn off the lights for about 3 hours, let the new guy get used to his new surroundings..... I have read/heard try feeding them before you introduce the new one.

Mine's not the blue devil, just a blue damsel. Although I wonder sometimes. He chases my royal gramma once in awhile, but mostly just playful stuff.

My tang teases my (larger) parrotfish, but he's not aggressive to anyone else, ever.

Wierd.

I DO think the butterfly was stressing a bit from acclimation, and my tang HAS bother other fish that are sick/stressed (ie., my dying anthis - the tang would harass him the sicker he got).

The yellow tangs are recommended to go in last. Ditch the damsel, return the tang, stock up on the fish yuo want and bring another yellow back later - or a different tang. My two cents.

Back
Top Bottom