Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-25-2004, 07:07 PM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

it slow and don't add any more life until you get some more rock and know the tank is cycled. Be ready to do water changes, have the SW mixed up and on hand and closely monitor your ammonia and nitrite readings. If they rise, do a water change and continue doing water changes every other day until the fall off. I doubt you'll have a problem, but you never know how much die off could have come from the sand.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 12:52 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

w00t!

Old 05-26-2004, 02:14 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
cycled my current reef with aquacultured LR that was literally covered with coral. Hmmm, does that make me a bad person, or is it OK cause it was coral encrusted to the LR?
OK, Its not bad since it was Aquacultured, But taking live stuff out of the sea and stuff that usually takes too much time to reproduce is kind of GROSS.

I dont intend to be rude but can't imagine mysef going to Can-Cun and doing some scuba, then picking a nice looking rock (with or without life on it) and then taking back home to my 55 gal tank.
Old 05-26-2004, 02:33 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedihunter
Quote:
cycled my current reef with aquacultured LR that was literally covered with coral. Hmmm, does that make me a bad person, or is it OK cause it was coral encrusted to the LR?
OK, Its not bad since it was Aquacultured, But taking live stuff out of the sea and stuff that usually takes too much time to reproduce is kind of GROSS.

I dont intend to be rude but can't imagine mysef going to Can-Cun and doing some scuba, then picking a nice looking rock (with or without life on it) and then taking back home to my 55 gal tank.
Ok, not trying to start something, but what do you think that many of the wholesalers do? Where do you think most of the fish come from? Even the aquacultured stuff is left in the sea to accumulate "life" on it to be later collected. If we want to go that rout with the discussion, then we are all guilty to some extent.
Now if he went into a reef with a pickax and went to work, then I would have an issue with it. But if he is just diving to pick up some sand and some loose rock (off the reefs), I don't see the problem with this.
IMO
Old 05-26-2004, 02:59 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Now if he went into a reef with a pickax and went to work, then I would have an issue with it. But if he is just diving to pick up some sand and some loose rock (off the reefs), I don't see the problem with this.
TOTALLY Agreed!!!
Old 05-26-2004, 06:42 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

to help keep the corals alive while cycling, do water changes to keep NH4 in check. If the lr is that fresh you may not experience die off, but be prepared for it.
First ammonia will rise, then nitrite, and then they will subside and nitrate will go up. when ammonia and nitrite go down to 0 it is cycled.
Old 05-27-2004, 10:05 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Regular

like i said i did not mean to offend any one in this forum JEDI !!! Sorry for anything i did I am new at this and i apologize. Thank you so much darb2 that was what i was looking for you are the shiznit!
Old 05-27-2004, 10:15 PM   #18
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
like i said i did not mean to offend any one in this forum JEDI !!! Sorry for anything i did I am new at this and i apologize.
Takes more to offend us than that, you'll find reefkeepers are an opinionated bunch, part of the hobby I guess. Don't fret about it at all

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 02:49 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

[quote="reefrunner69"]
Quote:
you'll find reefkeepers are an opinionated bunch
Amen!! LOL

(Me included)

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com