Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-21-2011, 11:01 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Im really not sure how much lighting the clams need. Sorry. I feel that lighting requirements are usually overrated. My sister accidently kept a bubble tip nem under 1 or 2 T8s and it was fine. If your giving the clam food it MAY work..... not sure tho. GL!!!!!

Old 11-22-2011, 12:13 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

I'm all for supporting the LFS, just be patient for the special corals to come in.

If you're debating MH or T5 for a new fixture, go LED. I believe you save in the long run when you compare energy cost & bulb replacement over a few years. You also get infinite Colour & intensity control & programability all in a single unit.

My T5 will be going the way of Ecotech Radions soon enough.

Old 11-22-2011, 07:22 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to kurtyboh Send a message via Skype™ to kurtyboh
Unless you cant afford the ridiculously high price of quality leds. Mh is the cost effective top dog as of right now, it will be several yrs before you start to save with leds, by that time plasma should be a viable option. The price of leds will drop and mh will house anything you want.
Old 11-22-2011, 08:45 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

If you do a cost breakdown of purchase price, energy consumption and bulb replacement, I think you would be surprised at just how quickly you come out ahead with LED. Yes it's more upfront, but much less down the road.

It might be a slightly different story if you already have a MH/T5 set up; it would take longer to balance out as you'd have to balance out the loss taken when selling your old lights.

For example: I bought a T5 fixture for around $300, in about 3 years the bulb replacement alone would equal out to the cost of a Radion LED. That's not factoring in energy consumption.
Old 11-22-2011, 08:56 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to kurtyboh Send a message via Skype™ to kurtyboh
Yes three yrs in which time prices of leds will continue to drop, and the tech can continue to improve. There are a lot of companies claiming reef ready on their leds but livestock isnt growing as well as when the user had mh. Not saying its crap tech, but you really have to do your homwork to make sure... Not really the case with mh, saving a few bucks on the unit will still land you with a product you can use for anything.
Old 11-22-2011, 08:59 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtyboh View Post
Yes three yrs in which time prices of leds will continue to drop, and the tech can continue to improve. There are a lot of companies claiming reef ready on their leds but livestock isnt growing as well as when the user had mh. Not saying its crap tech, but you really have to do your homwork to make sure... Not really the case with mh, saving a few bucks on the unit will still land you with a product you can use for anything.

+1 from me.

I will wait it out and see what goes on in the next year or two. Prices will drop and the technology will get better. I do agree that the leds' are a better option over the long term as far as $$ but my first priority is making my corals happy NOW. lol
Old 11-22-2011, 09:10 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well, first off sorry about the highjack! I guess it's a matter of personal preference, but I for one would not recommend shelling out cash for tech that will be relatively obsolete in a few years. Yes, there are some substandard fixtures, but some amazing ones as well. And if you have an LED fixture which is ideal in terms of PAR, much of the advancement left is software related, which should be upgradable anyways.
Old 11-22-2011, 10:49 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

Hey I'm happy for the hijack, always glad to hear about new stuff.

I had been running CFLs when I was just doing fowlr, but recently upgraded to the T5. I had given LEDs some thought, but truth told I just found both that and MH to be quite cost prohibitive. I opted for the T5 because of the massive number of options in terms of bulb spectrum, the "less boiling hot water" feature that it has over some MH, and as mentioned above the more reasonable pricing. I spent $250 on a deep blue solar extreme, which I love - I'm not planning on replacing the lighting all around, just the bulbs to something with a more blue-ish spectrum. The stock bulbs are VERY yellow/green and it gives everything a slightly algae/vomitous look

If anyone has suggestions for bulbs, I have the 48" solar extreme...I'm going to be getting in on the "bulk buy" that this group is doing in a couple of weeks and am going to be shopping for bulbs
caulastrea, green star polyps, palythoa, zoas
bighabeeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 10:56 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I would recommend ATI aquablue specials, they are at a 12k spectrum and give a nice blue ish hue to the tank. I also use ATI blue plus for my Actinics. These will be on sale for the BRS buy too. I just re-did my bulbs on the last group buy. lol
Old 11-22-2011, 10:56 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

How many bulbs? I hear the ATI can't be beat; maybe 50/50 Aquablue Special 12000k & Blue Plus

Tags
coral, first coral

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com