Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-04-2011, 08:03 PM   #61
Aquarium Advice Freak

Unsure - have another thread in hte identify section asking what the heck it is

LFS had em in red like this guy, and also in inverted (Green outside, red inside) - assuming its as hardy as they say it is, I could see doing an entire segment of my tank with them. They said keep it low in the tank, little to nowater circulation

caulastrea, green star polyps, palythoa, zoas
bighabeeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 08:21 PM   #62
Aquarium Advice Freak

It does indeed appear to be an open brain or Wellsophyllia.
Its purty

Old 12-12-2011, 11:28 AM   #63
Aquarium Advice Freak

So rolling right along - should have a royal gramma and a couple heads of duncans to add this week. My wife is flat out in love with the open brain and wants more of them, so it looks like I need to rework my aquascaping a bit to make more room on the substrate for them. Fed it for the first time and I admit, it was pretty awesome to watch the thing pucker up and then suck down some mysis.

Here's the tank so far, with a close up of the open brain, post eating

Old 12-12-2011, 03:51 PM   #64
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Looking great so far, Mitch.
boardsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 11:59 AM   #65
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
nothing likes "no water circulation" FYI. a gentle current is best. i just got a couple of them as well. they are very cool.
Old 12-17-2011, 01:21 PM   #66
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yep - by "no circulation" I more meant "no direct circulation" - just circulation bouncing off the tank in its general direction, as opposed to being directly riffled.

Just got 3 frags from reefs2go of various zoas - will be adding them soon and will pop up some pics when they open up.
Old 12-22-2011, 10:41 AM   #67
Aquarium Advice Freak

So. 3 frags from reefs2go were both itty bity and DOA. Not a very happy first mail order situation. They only give store credit for DOA, so I guess I have to give it another shot - hate the idea that more animals might die though, so will probably fork over for overnight shipping instead of the default 2 day that they used last time.

In other news, got a nice big hunk of green star polyps this week and have them in my "shady spot" - they've opened up and are incredibly cool to look at! Hoping to pick up either a toadstool or some duncans this weekend post water change, along with a new fishie (royal gramma should be in by now).

Once the water change is done and the stuff is in, I'll post some new pics: it's definitely coming along!
Old 12-22-2011, 11:27 AM   #68
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

All three frags were shot when you got them? I was going to order several frags from them and now I'm worried....
Old 12-22-2011, 11:31 AM   #69
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey View Post
All three frags were shot when you got them? I was going to order several frags from them and now I'm worried....
Yea unfortunately it looks that way. They were delayed an extra day at the post office which may have caused the problem.

I will mention that the zoa frags I received were also incredibly teeny tiny. While I know they only say 5 - 7 polyps, this was almost silly. 2 of them were at least on rocks - the third was on a small curl of a shell with no polyps visible on arrival. I tried to go in to pull it out and take a photo to send them, but one of my hermits liked the curl and took up residence in it.

R2G has been pretty easy to work with: they've issued me a credit for two of them already (the third MAY be showing signs of life) - and have told me to check in early next week and let them know if nothing pops out and they'll credit that one too.
Old 12-22-2011, 11:35 AM   #70
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I live in Florida and they are located here so I figure it would be next day shipping. Think that might help? They are having a super zooa sale and i wanted to get in on it. lol All the reviews always say how large the corals are and how great, youre the first one I've read of having any issues with them.

Tags
coral, first coral

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com