It starts here - First time reef build log

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The top pic looks like various stages of coraline algae.

In the bottom pic, the bottom of the rock and a space in the middle look like an encrusting coral maybe. On the right, that red stuff looks like algae that I'd probably remove.

Yay! You should add that rock to your tank soon to get the cycle bumping. :)

It's been a little while so I figured it's time for an update on this thread.

After a week or so of curing the rocks in the garbage can, I decided it was time to get the tank itself in shape to put water in it :) I got the idea I wanted a closed loop with a SCWD but didn't want to have lines/hoses seen over the top of the tank. This required drilling more holes in the tank. This puts the total up to 5. I have to admit that I was worried about too many holes about the time I was drilling the last one, but all seems good now that the water is in it.
img_829279_0_9834fdf27fb7d13230c02f14a5b46c99.jpg

A stand of some sort was in order too. Remember that this is more of a research/learning tank and will be in the basement so the stand needed to be more one of function than one of looks.

img_829279_1_58c24d72a52099e69fb928a7420087d3.jpg

melevsreef.com got me sold on the idea that I can build things out of acrylic so I had to give it a try. This is my version of an overflow for inside the tank.

img_829279_2_e7fd86854409addcb26eb180c1371a27.jpg

Here is a shot of the plumbing mostly installed and you can see the overflow in place through the back of the tank. The two ports in the upper corners are the discharge lines from the SCWD. The lower right is the suction for the pump that feeds the SCWD. The two in the center will be the "stand pipe" and the return from the sump that has not been built yet.

img_829279_3_98204b621389926015189f7197b0423c.jpg

I added the rocks and put the light over the top of the tank. I thought the 30 lbs of lalo rock from F&S would look like more than it does. It looks like another 30 lbs will do just fine. There is a handful of MarcoRocks rubble in the middle there too. I really like the look of their stuff, if you are looking for base rock you might check them out on the web.

img_829279_4_66449702a683f333c79eaaf5fef58ae3.jpg

That's it for now. The new load of LR should be here on Thursday so it will need to be cured for a little while then added to the tank to finish. I was surprised at how fast the cycle completed with the first load so I won't make the same mistake and wait so long before putting it in the tank so late.

I'll post more as it happens.
Thanks for looking.

And you wonder why he won't let you come over... :wink:
David14259 said:
Very nice Sparky! Almost looks like you know what you're doing. Really though, I'm impressed.

Lol, looks great sparky! With a little more liverock, the tank is gonna rock.

You definitley will still want to wait and let that liverock have it's dieoff period outside of the tank, but I also agree with you that you probably didn't need to wait that long to add it.

That plumbing looks awesome, and your DIY work is amazing!

I had been adding a little ammonia to keep the cycle going in the tub the rocks were in. I took way too long and they had completely cycled to the point where I had no choice but to go with a little ammonia to keep things going.

The second batch of liverock will be here on Thursday. If it goes anything like the last batch, it may go into the tank by late on Sunday.

More Rock!

Added the second shipment of rock today. This brings me up to 60 lbs of rock!

The water is all stirred up and the mh was not totally warmed up when this shot was taken, but here it is with the new rock.

img_830006_0_4a32e0b5192122c5a1ab8a29a18db812.jpg

I'll monitor the water params and watch the cycle as it progresses. Maybe I'll get to add some life in the next couple weeks.

adding a little ammonia to keep the cycle going in the tub the rocks were in

Can always just drop a little fish food in there every few days too. Worked for me with about 50 lbs or so I had to keep in tubs once.

Back
Top Bottom